Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I passed on all these. Have plenty stashed back. Attachment 16234
    Wow, a visit to Carmel. They looked to be well stocked!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I passed on all these. Have plenty stashed back. Attachment 16234
    I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase a case of Weller12...

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Novice

THH @$109, JPS18 @ $129, EH taylor single Barrel ( have not heard much good about the entire EH line), BT single oak and BT experimental. I also saw some Hirsch 20 yr. American whiskey for $80 or $90 but again I have heard it just is not that good.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    I wouldn't have hesitated to purchase a case of Weller12...
    The EH Taylor and Hirsch are both sitting at my local store for the same prices and nobody seems to want them. The Hirsch has been on the shelf for 2-3 months now. A friend bought the Taylor and really liked it, though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oke&coke View Post
    Passed on a BTEC for $65 per 375. They had the rice and oats bottles. Im curious but not at that price.
    You would go from curious to pissed off after about 10 seconds into your first pour,wise decision on both of those
    I found the Rice to be decent if unremarkable. Oats was pretty bad. Neither worth the price other than to taste the experiments. Some are good and some are bad but hard to know unless you get to try it for yourself.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Passed through the store with the grossly overpriced Handy again today. So odd since they have a number of bottles which are priced at or below other local stores.

It is also very sad. There were 11 bottles on the shelf from at least 2 different years! No telling how many more might be tucked away elsewhere. A shame to see such fine whiskey not being enjoyed but I certainly won't pay that for 6yo CS whiskey that realistically is already overpriced at retail cost.

Handy 200.jpeg

Checked on the 25yo Hirsch Rye I saw last week but apparently all they have is the 25yo (At least as far as they seem to know. Doesn't seem to be the most organized of operations) so I passed on it. Was hoping to find a 21 or 22.

Also saw these Hirsch 20yo American whiskeys finished in used barrels (not A.H. Hirsch of course). Didn't know much about them so passed for now at $80. I seem to recall it was not particularly well thought of and certainly not at that price. Also saw the Michter's 10yo mystery rye which there have been a few good reports about on here recently but didn't have much interest at $72 even though that seems to be lower than some internet prices I have seen. Do we know where the heck this comes from??? It is the one bottle I am wondering if I should have picked up.

Hirsch.jpegMichters.jpeg
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 08-03-2013 at 18:56.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Wow - that is sad. I love THH, but at triple the price - that's crazy. Must just like saying they have it on the shelves.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

I passed up on the Hirsch 25 year for $220. If anyone is around Augusta, GA and is interested, PM me. I couldn't bite on it since I don't know much about it. The Anchor Distilling website doesn't even have it listed.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Also saw the Michter's 10yo mystery rye which there have been a few good reports about on here recently but didn't have much interest at $72 even though that seems to be lower than some internet prices I have seen. Do we know where the heck this comes from??? It is the one bottle I am wondering if I should have picked up.

Hirsch.jpegMichters.jpeg
    According to this Board and other Internet sources the original M10 rye was the Cream of Kentucky rye (Same as Saz18 and others) This could be some new (Canadian) source like the Jeff or WP. If it says distilled in Ky I'd grab it. If its the old stuff that's a great price.

Also you might PM Chainwhip if he doesn't chime in here. He's pretty up on the older ryes.
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 08-03-2013 at 19:28.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Also you might PM Chainwhip if he doesn't chime in here. He's pretty up on the older ryes.
    I'll have to defer to Will, Kaveh, & others here on SB as everything I've learned is from them and others here...

;-)

Sent B a PM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof