Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Yeah the tradition was right I just don't personally care for that one. Tried it in KY not too long ago and for me isn't worth the price tag. The store is affectionately known as Paymore Liquors. Hahaha. The FR find was off the beaten path a little bit but worth the effort.

Connoisseur

Re: What did you pass up today? Summer '13

I love WT Tradition. I use to be in the camp that thought it was overpriced. I bunkered a handful in the $60 -70 range. Then I opened one last year. Then I opened another... Then... Damn fine whiskey. I'm bunkering them now. Well worth the price IMO. Actually a bargain... I'd take a Tradition over a BT PVW 15 any day of the week. The Tradition smokes the current Pappy's arse.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Stormeh View Post
    On the advice of most of SB, I went back and picked up the Hirsch 22 Rye today. =)
    Let us know how you like it. The nose is heavenly!!

Cheers
    Hugh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I love WT Tradition. I use to be in the camp that thought it was overpriced. I bunkered a handful in the $60 -70 range. Then I opened one last year. Then I opened another... Then... Damn fine whiskey. I'm bunkering them now. Well worth the price IMO. Actually a bargain... I'd take a Tradition over a BT PVW 15 any day of the week. The Tradition smokes the current Pappy's arse.
    I have never seen it for $60-70. That is a very good price.

At $100-110, I have passed them and sadly haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Disclaimer: Some of these that I passed up today I may go back for (still deciding).

JPS 18, batch 6 for $96 (seemed pretty steep to me - had it been a 17, batch 6 - sold!)
    Several WTR101 (brought the first one I saw home, left several more out there)
    Hirsch 20 yr American Whiskey for $70
    A few BMH (NAS) bourbons

And what I'm seriously reconsidering - some BMH 18yr Rye for $94.

I wish I knew where you where shopping!!! Haven't been able to find any WTR101 lately.

Connoisseur

I passed on some Balcones Rumble for about $50. I know some folks on here like it and maybe even mentioned wanting help locating some. If that's correct and my recollection is right, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Guru

I think most folks like/want the cask strength version but could be wrong. You did the right thing passing on the regular IMO.

Connoisseur

After the tepid reviews/opinions (I pretty much expected such) expressed in a thread I started a few days ago, I have decided to pass up both Calumet Farms Bourbon (one of y'all suggested it may contain a piece of actual racehorse! ...great comment!) and Lexington Bourbon. Both are expressions of apparently pretty ordinary, fairly young Bourbon done for NDP's and sold at moderately high, to very high, prices ($50 for the CF, $28 for the Lex).
    I'm still on the fence about the "Forgiven" being marketed by WT. (A supposedly accidental mingling of Straight Rye with WT Bourbon.) They're asking $51 for a 750 around my area for it. Without someone who's tasted it saying it's at least unique or different enough to warrant the high freight, I'm pretty hesitant.
    Anybody with a review of "Forgiven"?

Guru

If I were in a frame of mind to buy Forgiven I would still wait for some first person impressions. Doubt we'll have to wait long, somebody will buy it, somebody always does.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

We had the Forgiven on the porch a week ago when the WT rep visited. All of us gave it a thumbs up. We were sharing a bottle provided by the rep. If $51 is the price .. that's priced above a few brands I would reach for first at that level. The number of new intros coming in at $40+ are disturbing .. and I think it's going to only help those great old stand bys in the neighborhood of $30 or even less. WT has some good stuff on the way in the next month or so.
    Jon