Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    A few other things I passed up this weekend.

I am always interested in supporting some of these small craft distillers and with a price under $30 I thought about picking this Whipper Snapper up but passed for now. Got no idea about the Buck bourbon other than it is sourced mystery KY bourbon bottled out in California. I have tried the Belle Meade in the past, also mystery KY bourbon bottled in Nashville I think, and it was OK but not at $40 for me, especially with the EWSB a few bottles away on the shelf at half the price!

Attachment 16282

Also saw some more EWSB 2002 (barrel number in the 900's) but decided to pass for now. They had a fair amount on hand so probably not going to move fast unless somebody is really jones-ing for the 2002. But $20 bucks seemed like a really good price for 10yo bourbon.
    Attachment 16283
    I seem to remember reading Lawrenceburg, IN as the source on the Belle Meade. My wife had grabbed a bottle and pointed it out to me before i noticed, trying explaining NDP and then realized i should buy her some bourbon balls and save us both some confusion.

Virtuoso

Just my opinion obviously, but WhipperSnapper is among the absolute worst whiskies I've ever had. Took a bottle on my 30th birthday beach trip (along with a dozen other things) and my friend who can't smell anything (literally) wound up drinking it. I'd really like to hear other opinions on it though.

Guru

It's a cool label.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    Great price on the EWSB.

Agreed. It's a $30 bourbon in these parts. I'd be a buyer at $20 for sure. Great value for a 10 yr single barrel.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Just my opinion obviously, but WhipperSnapper is among the absolute worst whiskies I've ever had. Took a bottle on my 30th birthday beach trip (along with a dozen other things) and my friend who can't smell anything (literally) wound up drinking it. I'd really like to hear other opinions on it though.
    Whippersnapper tasted more like gin than any other whiskey I've ever had. Does alright in a manhattan, and well in a mint julep, but it is definitely not enjoyable neat IMO. But tanstaafl2 is a cocktail guy, so he might have fun experimenting with it.

Virtuoso

What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Just my opinion obviously, but WhipperSnapper is among the absolute worst whiskies I've ever had.
    It's not even whiskey, it's spirit whiskey, which means it vodka mixed with aged vodka, basically. It's an abominable Frankenstein that I fell for 3-4 years ago. I have literally poured one drink from it and it has stayed at the back of my cabinet un-poured from since. I shudder at its mention.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    ...and our WA version has 20.5% extra......sales tax that is.
    Just a general question, what do they do with that 20.5%. Does it go into the state general budget? Not meant to be a political question. Just curious how they justify such a high tax. Just seems really high!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Agreed. It's a $30 bourbon in these parts. I'd be a buyer at $20 for sure. Great value for a 10 yr single barrel.
    Yeah, I have seen it for $25.99 in Indy. I have never bought it. I would certainly give it a try at $19.99.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    I seem to remember reading Lawrenceburg, IN as the source on the Belle Meade. My wife had grabbed a bottle and pointed it out to me before i noticed, trying explaining NDP and then realized i should buy her some bourbon balls and save us both some confusion.
    Haha, some things are better not spending the time explaining. I would have passed on all of the bottles in the top picture unless I could try them first.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    No doubt you are correct. I just knew for sure it was an NDP and while not bad it wasn't something I was inclined to spend $40 on. I think it was the Buck bourbon that specifically claimed KY as the source.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum