Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Disciple

What did you pass up today? Summer '13

I passed on an ECBP 137. Might go back, might not... Kind of on a whiskey buying hiatus in preparation for what's to come.
    Jim

Taster

Re: What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I passed on an ECBP 137. Might go back, might not... Kind of on a whiskey buying hiatus in preparation for what's to come.
    If you don't have any of this I suggest you go back and get it. Its a truly amazing bourbon. Just the mention of it makes me want to go pour a glass.
    Matt
    International man of mystery

Frantically searching for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....

Disciple

Oh I have some, no worries there!
    Jim

Guru

State price is $50.99.

Connoisseur

I found three bottles of 4R single-barrel at one of my local stores, with the "Private Selection" label on the neck like the retailer barrel picks have, though the store isn't advertising it as their pick. It's priced the same within a few bucks of the regular single-barrel bottles, but the side label they usually have with the retailer's name isn't present, and which recipe of the ten in the bottle isn't to be found anywhere on it.

On the other hand, they're labeled at a beefy 58.9% ABV.

I'm tempted.

At another store, I left behind two 4R1B LE 2013's and bought the third. I'm also tempted there, but I think I need to sample more from my open bottle of this whiskey before deciding to really stock up.

As far as the wifely discussions go, we each have our hobbies, and she's fine with me buying and enjoying fine whiskey. On the other hand, I did just get a comment about all the liquor storage boxes piled up in the cellar, making it look "cluttered" down there... Even if you're not losing, you still can't win!
    Last edited by Kalessin; 08-16-2013 at 09:25.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    I found three bottles of 4R single-barrel at one of my local stores, with the "Private Selection" label on the neck like the retailer barrel picks have. The store isn't advertising it as their pick. It's priced within five bucks of the regular single-barrel bottles, but the side label they usually have with the retailer's name isn't present, and which recipe of the ten in the bottle isn't to be found anywhere on it.

On the other hand, they're labeled at a beefy 58.9% ABV.

I'm tempted.
    Sounds like a great deal - they usually go for $50 or more around here. I wonder if you could guess the recipe - as I believe that is normally listed on the side label that is missing in your case. I'd buy one and see what you think - I am still thinking that I need to pick up a second bottle of an OESO a local retailer has near me.

Disciple

I'll bet Four Roses would tell you the recipe based on barrel number and warehouse location.
    Jim

Advanced Taster

4 liters of Dant BIB 113 for $69/each.
    One pint of Dant BIB 2/16 for $49.
    Two liters of ND OGD 86 for $59.

Seriously? I mean, I want to try those, but geez. I wonder why they're still on the shelf...

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I'll bet Four Roses would tell you the recipe based on barrel number and warehouse location.
    Great idea. From those who have experience with standard SB vs. store pick SB (these being the OBSV 100pf types not store barrel proof picks) How do they compare? In these parts the store picks are usually 10 bucks cheaper. I have only had store pick SB and I am very happy with it, given that they are the same recipe and proof I don't see the need so shell out more money for what should be the same thing (beyond barrel variation of course).

Disciple

The private selection barrel proofers are one of the best values in bourbon IMO. It's really hard to compare them to the OBSV because every recipe is different.

As far as the store pick standard SBs... They're the same thing, just something that someone at the store liked. If you find a store that selects barrels you like, keep buying them... If you find a store that selects barrels you hate, don't. Simple as that.
    Jim