Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I would have to say I'll never pay more than $50 for a bottle of whisky . . . again.
    Squire I think yhou are on to something here. Over the past couple of months I have tried numerous bottles but when I compare a $20 bottle to a $75 bottle I just can't taste a $50 difference.

Guru

What did you pass up today? Summer '13

Sometimes I can, sometimes...

The 4R SmB LEs for instance I generally feel are well worth the 40-50 premium over its reg counterpart. I'd be all too happy if more people came around to your way of thinking however!
    Last edited by MyOldKyDram; 09-12-2013 at 08:42.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Squire I think yhou are on to something here. Over the past couple of months I have tried numerous bottles but when I compare a $20 bottle to a $75 bottle I just can't taste a $50 difference.
    just my point..................

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Sometimes I can, sometimes...

The 4R SmB LEs for instance I generally feel are well worth the 40-50 premium over its reg counterpart. I'd be all too happy if more people came around to your way of thinking however!

ive not tried the LE stuff of 4R. but it would have to be exponentially greater than the regular stuff for me to even give $20 for it. Ive got some 4RSiB here, and i just cant drink it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Over the past couple of months I have tried numerous bottles but when I compare a $20 bottle to a $75 bottle I just can't taste a $50 difference.
    The difference is a cool label and a pretty bottle.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

squire it the best example on here of bourbon enjoyment. i never hear him rave about expensive limited edition crap. he gets it, knows what he likes, enjoys it, and just hangs out here.

drink on, squire!

Guru

The difference is a cool label and a pretty bottle.
    And age, strength, rarity, finishes...

Now none of this may still make up that $50 in your mind, but label and a pretty bottle is a pretty gross exaggeration.

Connoisseur

I would have to say I'll never pay more than $50 for a bottle of whisky . . . again.
    Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    squire it the best example on here of bourbon enjoyment. i never hear him rave about expensive limited edition crap. he gets it, knows what he likes, enjoys it, and just hangs out here.
    The "again" part of his comment above suggests he's made those purchases in the past and has come to realize $50+ whiskey isn't worth it - to him.

Guru

All generalizations are inaccurate including this one. Far too many brands in the $50 - $75 range are not special enough to warrant their price.

We've all heard the descriptions, pure limestone water, choice grain (yes, only the choicest of grains!), secret family recipe written down by an ancestor on his deathbed, appropriation of the name of a dead president who has absolutely no connection with the product, very small batch, very limited distribution (still enough for overseas markets though), very special product only for very special people (this label says something about you!) who can afford to pay the price. All this for repackaged bulk whisky.

I'm not comparing the quaintly old fashioned, Old Grand Dad with the new, exciting Limited Releases from Four Roses or Parker's Heritage, rather I'm saying price and pretty don't change the contents.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

ECBP has made a big splash specifically because of the kind of value it represents, but it's still hardly the rule. What are the mid-range (to me that means $40-$50) barrel proof offerings? Booker's, Stagg Jr., ECBP, and what? Booker's is barely in Kindergarten, and Stagg is a little better. Eagle Rare has been 19 years old for two releases now. GTS is 16 years or older and often bottled at a truly unique proof. WLW is the only cask strength 12+ year wheated bourbon in the current market. Aged rye is becoming more and more rare on the shelves. PHC always put out a high octane, well aged, one-of-a-kind offering before this years charity event. Four Roses, for my money, has the best and most consistently pleasing product in their single and small batch LEs, with good age, proof, and the hand of the best distiller in America guiding the way.

All of the rants about value and what things should cost is old hat and rather tiresome. If you never want to spend more than $30 on a bottle of whiskey, you certainly don't have to. You can drink incredible pours of ETL, OGD114, VOB BIB, BT, Ritt BIB, HH6 BIB, etc. etc. etc. 'til the cows come home and you'll be drinking about as fine as a man can ever hope to. But, to insist that there's no reason for a producer to charge a premium for a product that requires extra investment on their part is ludicrous. The actual retail prices of nearly everything 18 years old and younger is well within reason in my opinion. I won't be buying any EC21 or JPS21 because, to me, that's more than I would like to spend for those particular products. That doesn't mean that they're *too* expensive or priced out of line with what is reasonable and appropriate for the market.

It's all any of us can do to tolerate the complaining about the secondary market, do we really need to beat this one in to the ground as well?