Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Old Grand Dad 80 proof Grandson

Has anyone tried the 80 proof version now out?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Re: Old Grand Dad 80 proof Grandson

I've had no occasion to, but now that you've piqued my curiosity I may give it a go.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

I was reading the OGD and 80 proof threads when it hit me there hasn't been much mention about this one.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

I don't think there was much interest in giving it a whirl, especially with the BIB and 114 still readily available.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

I only had one bottle of the 86 proof, a couple years ago... I was very new to bourbon and found it dryer and with more ethynol in the finish than the similarly priced EWB. Still enjoyed it though, just didn't revisit it as I was still searching out all the "new" stuff.... then it dropped to 80 proof and I lost all interest.

BUT... I believe I can get 50ml bottles of it here... if so, I'll pick up a couple and report back. Only problem is, it has been so long since I had the 86 proofer, a direct comparison would be near impossible.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Double post.......

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JPBoston; 01-08-2014 at 15:24.

Enthusiast

I actually considered buying this today because I love the brand and have actually been enjoying lighter pours lately. What convinced me to not was the recent side-by-side I did with BIB and 114 watered to equal strengths. The 114 was so much better, even watered to 100 proof.

Now, which version is this I wondered? The 114 watered to 80 or the BIB? Bought a $19.99 bottle of JBB instead.

Enthusiast

I've never actually had Basil Hayden, but it would be kind of interesting to do a side-by-side, particularly with the NAS version.

There's a place near me with some of the 8 year bottles, I've thought about buying them just to vat with the 114 to see if I could coax out something interesting and familial and maybe not readily apparent in either until combined.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    I've never actually had Basil Hayden, but it would be kind of interesting to do a side-by-side, particularly with the NAS version.

There's a place near me with some of the 8 year bottles, I've thought about buying them just to vat with the 114 to see if I could coax out something interesting and familial and maybe not readily apparent in either until combined.
    Basil Hayden's is a fav when I go out to eat. To me the 114 watered to 80 proof tastes very similar to it..I will have to ask the bartender next time I'd theirs is NAS or not..likely is.

Connoisseur

I've tasted the 86 and 80 side by side. Not much difference really. The OGD 80 is probably my favorite 80 proof bourbon. It's actually pretty decent if you're looking for a lower proof pour.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.