Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 302
  1. #61
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,460

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    I knew it had to have been before OWA and WSR. Thanks Thad!
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

  2. #62
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    212

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    And you will have a very hard time finding a paper W12 as it was a good 3 to 4 years before OWA and WSR became paperless in '09. The infamous '06 Everett's W12 bottling was paperless.
    Ok, that's good info to know. I'm assuming there's nothing all that special about any of the WSR bottles post-1999?

  3. #63

    Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Interesting thread. I'm amazed that paper label Weller is still available in New England. How many years has it been? This leads me to think large caches of stuff really do get forgotten for years in distributor warehouses. Amazing.

    I also note how quickly this got to six pages when it is essentially just members reporting local conditions. That's a really great thing for this board to be able to do. Producers spend a lot of money to get that kind of information.

    For my part, I've never had trouble finding Reserve, Antique and 12 in Chicago. I was in Binny's Lincoln Park last week and it was well-stocked with all three.
    It goes to show that BT is keeping the places with very high volume (Chicago) supplied.

    As much as Kentucky is the homeland, we are not a high volume area. Chicago has twice as many people as the entire state of KY. While KY might consume more bourbon per capita, we are still a drop in the proverbial bucket.

    One of the old pogue family that frequents my store told me that they (pogue) sell more bourbon in one square mile of NYC than they do in the entire state of Kentucky.

  4. #64
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,531

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Wow, when you think about it that makes sense.

  5. #65
    Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicagoland, Illinois
    Posts
    1,600

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    Ok, that's good info to know. I'm assuming there's nothing all that special about any of the WSR bottles post-1999?
    Not necessarily. One of my favorite OWA's ever had an '04 embossed on the bottom. Okay, so 1999 is a seminal year...7 years after S-W closed, the year of the Diageo/United Distillers sell off of brands and Bernheim. And also the year Ed Foote retired as Master Distiller from Bernheim who was also the last at S-W. On my experience some of the early made Bernheim wheat whiskey is great stuff and better than what was coming out of S-W at the end.

    And with OWA and WSR your dealing with age stated bottles so the bourbon can be older but they're not single barrels or bonded. In other words who knows what barrels were getting mixed into the dump to create the brand profile.

    Chuck in his blog a few years back wrote about it.

    "The actual successor to Stitzel-Weller, arguably, is Heaven Hill's Bernheim Production Facility, which was designed by the owner of both plants to be the successor, and which was set-up by Ed Foote, the last Master Distiller at Stitzel-Weller.

    Although Buffalo Trace produced a little bit of wheated bourbon prior to acquiring the W.L. Weller brand in 1999, it didn't produce enough to fully support the brand and even today a lot of the Weller on shelves is Bernheim whiskey. So is some of the Van Winkle. Of course, all of the Old Fitzgerald on shelves today, except for the odd Stitzel-Weller dusty, is from Bernheim, which Heaven Hill acquired along with the Old Fitzgerald brand."

    Thad

    BTOTY-2011

  6. #66
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,531

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Ah, the plot thickens, as they say, I really don't care so long as the whisky tastes good.

  7. #67
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post

    Chuck in his blog a few years back wrote about it.

    "The actual successor to Stitzel-Weller, arguably, is Heaven Hill's Bernheim Production Facility, which was designed by the owner of both plants to be the successor, and which was set-up by Ed Foote, the last Master Distiller at Stitzel-Weller.

    This was the Bernheim distillery that was built in 1996 that HH acquired after the fire then (probably stating the obvious). Do you guys know if PHC10 was distilled @ Bernheim?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  8. #68
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    212

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Not necessarily. One of my favorite OWA's ever had an '04 embossed on the bottom. Okay, so 1999 is a seminal year...7 years after S-W closed, the year of the Diageo/United Distillers sell off of brands and Bernheim. And also the year Ed Foote retired as Master Distiller from Bernheim who was also the last at S-W. On my experience some of the early made Bernheim wheat whiskey is great stuff and better than what was coming out of S-W at the end.

    And with OWA and WSR your dealing with age stated bottles so the bourbon can be older but they're not single barrels or bonded. In other words who knows what barrels were getting mixed into the dump to create the brand profile.

    Chuck in his blog a few years back wrote about it.

    "The actual successor to Stitzel-Weller, arguably, is Heaven Hill's Bernheim Production Facility, which was designed by the owner of both plants to be the successor, and which was set-up by Ed Foote, the last Master Distiller at Stitzel-Weller.

    Although Buffalo Trace produced a little bit of wheated bourbon prior to acquiring the W.L. Weller brand in 1999, it didn't produce enough to fully support the brand and even today a lot of the Weller on shelves is Bernheim whiskey. So is some of the Van Winkle. Of course, all of the Old Fitzgerald on shelves today, except for the odd Stitzel-Weller dusty, is from Bernheim, which Heaven Hill acquired along with the Old Fitzgerald brand."

    More great information. Thanks for that! So if you were hunting, what would you look for on the bottle to determine whether it's worth a purchase? The numbers stamped on the bottom of the bottle?

  9. #69
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Commonwealth of KY
    Posts
    3,136

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Was out and about for hours today and saw nary a drop of the stuff.

  10. #70
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Louisville, ky
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Wow, when you think about it that makes sense.
    Minus the Tourism bureau in KY hyping up visiting "bourbon country" i'd agree. I can only say if i flew to scotland (ok, scotch isn't exactly my thing, but follow along) i'd be beyond confused if the distilleries were out of stock of their mid shelf brands.

    One thing to not have the special releases (4R seems to make up for that with Private Selection releases at a really fair rate, and HH by charging 2x MSRP so those with deep pockets can grab) but to be out of stock across the range just seems like bad planning.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Trey Zoeller talks flying,bourbon and escorts
    By Old Dusty in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 15:34
  2. Flying with bourbon in your luggage.
    By RyanL in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 05:19
  3. Weller re-appears on the shelves
    By jburlowski in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 18:50
  4. Bottles on the shelves...
    By tritioch in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 16:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top