Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willett 5 Yr

Connoisseur

Willett 5 Yr

Just picked up a Willett 5 yr 110 proof Rye. Assume its LDI/MGP juice. Anyone sample this yet?

Edit:misspelled Willett in the title but can't edit that. Mods,a little help?
    Last edited by camduncan; 06-26-2013 at 15:14. Reason: fixed title as requested.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

Re: Willett 5 Yr

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Just picked up a Willett 5 yr 110 proof Rye. Assume its LDI/MGP juice. Anyone sample this yet?

Edit:misspelled Willett in the title but can't edit that. Mods,a little help?
    Does it say distilled in Indiana on the back?

I picked up a couple bottles at KBD last summer of 5 or 6 year rye that said Kentucky on the back.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Fixed.

I picked up a bottle of the 4yo 110 proof in New Zealand last month, and was going to do a side-by-side sample with a fellow members 5yo 110 he bought back from KY last weekend. I'm not sure what happened, we started on the 4yo and then started on some bourbons. Never went back to the 5yo.

Connoisseur

Luther, yes distilled in IN. So that answers the LDI question.

Cam, thanks for the help. Also just found an old thread on this topic that died out in 8/12. Feel free to merge.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Willett 5 Yr

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Luther, yes distilled in IN. So that answers the LDI question.

Cam, thanks for the help. Also just found an old thread on this topic that died out in 8/12. Feel free to merge.
    I've had it. It's ok. IHMO the best LDI expression because of the high proof. A couple friends and I killed the bottle in one night making manhattans.

Guru

I really enjoy the 5 yr, lthough I've only seen it once. It's always the 4 that I run across. I enjoy that one also, though.

Disciple

I've tried several 4 and 5 year Willett ryes, and haven't been disappointed in one yet. In fact, Hunter from Willett brought a 3 yr Willett rye to a tasting event so we could compare what one year does, and honestly - the 3 yr was pretty damned good (you could tell the difference from 3 to 4, but it wasn't a huge difference).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

I really enjoy the 5yr. myself,I don't see a huge difference between the 4 and 5 year,but the younger 3 year old while good just not up to par with its two older siblings.I was lucky enough to buy several 5yr. barrel#66 last year@$29.99 and probably the value of the century in the rye category for me,great neat and an absolute monster in a Manhattan.Now if I could just find a few more.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

This is Barrel 90A and was $34.99 for comparison. The "A" makes it $5 better

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Does it say distilled in Indiana on the back?
    Luther, you would think a guy with LDI/MGP as his avatar would not need to ask that question wouldn't you?