Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

First post, I am very happy to be here!

Hi All: I'm a 33-year old male in Albany, NY. I started drinking single-malt scotch in my early 20s to complement my then-budding fascination with premium cigars. I began to enjoy scotch, but never really loved it.
    Somewhere in my mid-20s, I started ordering Makers Mark on the rocks whenever I'd go out to a bar. My wife noticed this, and began buying me bottles of bourbon for birthdays/anniversaries, and she always got good stuff thanks to advice from our local liquor proprietor.
    So now, bourbon is really all I drink, save for some good red wine here and there. I drink the good stuff neat or with a splash of room-temperature water, depending on whether I need to scale back the alcohol (Bookers, Noah's Mill, etc.). Most nights, I enjoy either a Manhattan over ice or an Old-Fashioned over ice. The current stars of my cabinet are 2 bottles of Pappy 23 and 1 bottle of Pappy 20. I used to always have some Elijah Craig 18-year on hand, but seems this is now out of production?
    I am always looking for recommendations of bourbon labels that I haven't tried before. The Pappy 20/23 labels are the only north-of-$100 bottles I've ever tried, but I'd certainly like to try others. Additionally, in the "regular price" range, I always enjoy trying something new. I love Basil Hayden for mixing cocktails as described above; the relatively-low (80 proof) alcohol content makes for a very easy-drinking after-work beverage. Still, I'm open to other suggestions in the $35-50/750ml bottle price range.

Guru

Re: First post, I am very happy to be here!

Hey Dan, welcome aboard. If you like Basil Hayden you may also enjoy Old Grand Dad which is made from the same mash bill and is available in higher proofs, up to 114.

Connoisseur

Hello Dan. Glad to have you aboard.
    You might like Elmer T. Lee SB in the range you mentioned, and/or (for a bit more dough) Four Roses Single Barrel is reliably tasty.
    Keep having fun, as it sounds like you're doing! Do yourself a favor and explore some of the less expensive brands. Alot of quality for reasonable dough, if one or more hits your preferred taste range.

Guru

Welcome Dan! Squire and Richnimrod have already made some good recommendations. Two more to consider are Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Old Weller Antique 107. I would also second the recommendation on trying some bourbons that may be lower in price, but not lower in quality. Look forward to your posts!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_In_Albany View Post
    My wife noticed this, and began buying me bottles of bourbon for birthdays/anniversaries, and she always got good stuff thanks to advice from our local liquor proprietor.
    Dan ...

Welcome. A good wife is hard to find ... looks like you found one! Enjoy ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from one of the Michigan folk.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome Dan! Squire and Richnimrod have already made some good recommendations. Two more to consider are Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Old Weller Antique 107. I would also second the recommendation on trying some bourbons that may be lower in price, but not lower in quality. Look forward to your posts!
    Welcome Dan! I am with squire, Rich and Gary on their suggestions and the advice to consider "value-priced" bourbons. OGD may seem old fashioned but I would match it against any of the high touted brands, same for WTRB and OWA. You, my friend, came to the right on-line community to learn, interact, and enjoy bourbon.

Welcome again,

Mike

Guru

welcome dan from WA state - some of us hang out on chat on occasion (bottom left hand corner of your browser)... hope to see ya on one of these days
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Welcome from Austin

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion
    2013 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football 3rd Place
    2014 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football ?

Disciple

Welcome to the board. Joining is the best thing you've ever done for your taste buds, but you've done better things for your wallet.