Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Elizabethtown, Ky
    Posts
    410

    Thoughts on Willett ryes

    I was at Willett a couple of days ago and saw two interesting ryes in their gift shop. One was a Vintage 23 year old and the other a Willett FE 25 year old. Price was $229 for the 23 and $249 for the 25. Almost embarrassed to admit I was tempted but wanted some other opinions first. Anyone have any experience with either of these ryes?

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    320

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    I was at Willett a couple of days ago and saw two interesting ryes in their gift shop. One was a Vintage 23 year old and the other a Willett FE 25 year old. Price was $229 for the 23 and $249 for the 25. Almost embarrassed to admit I was tempted but wanted some other opinions first. Anyone have any experience with either of these ryes?
    There are lots of reviews around of the Vintage 23, but it came out 4 or 5 years ago, so I assume what they have in the gift shop now is a new bottling that's not necessarily the same.

    A friend and I were at the gift shop last summer and he bought one of the 25-year FE bottles. We opened it a couple months later and thought it was pretty tired and over-oaked. For the price I wouldn't recommend it.

  3. #3

    Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    There are lots of reviews around of the Vintage 23, but it came out 4 or 5 years ago, so I assume what they have in the gift shop now is a new bottling that's not necessarily the same.
    I heard that they got some back from a distributor and just marked up the price. If true, that would suggest that it is the same V23 that was released a few years ago.

  4. #4
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,386

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I heard that they got some back from a distributor and just marked up the price. If true, that would suggest that it is the same V23 that was released a few years ago.
    What did V21 and V23 originally go for? I have never seen one on the shelf and wouldn't know what a "reasonable" price was. I suspect that $200 plus doesn't qualify as a good price though!

    Same for Hirsch ryes. Only one I have seen was a Hirsch 25 rye at $233 and that didn't generate much interest either.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  5. #5

    Thoughts on Willett ryes

    I paid $54.99 for my V21s and have seen V23s for $74.99. That being said there are probably few left in stores

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I paid $54.99 for my V21s and have seen V23s for $74.99. That being said there are probably few left in stores
    Seeing that makes me back away from the $160 bottles I've been seeing - but the VR21 is so fuGGn good...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  7. #7
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,386

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I paid $54.99 for my V21s and have seen V23s for $74.99. That being said there are probably few left in stores
    Thanks. Anything close to that and I would certainly be a buyer! At $200+ not so much.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  8. #8
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    I bought a 25 yr WFER last year for that price, and it is pretty bad. I was very disappointed - WAY over-oaked. Taste like char infused char. I'm experimenting with mixing it with some younger ryes in the hopes it will be drinkable.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

  9. #9
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Michigan
    Posts
    123

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    ... A friend and I were at the gift shop last summer and he bought one of the 25-year FE bottles. We opened it a couple months later and thought it was pretty tired and over-oaked. For the price I wouldn't recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I bought a 25 yr WFER last year for that price, and it is pretty bad. I was very disappointed - WAY over-oaked. Taste like char infused char. ...
    These observations raise a good question: Is there a too old age for ryes (and bourbons as well) - when they are past their prime? There are some highly praised 21 year old and 23 year old ryes. Yet, here are a couple of 25 year old spirits that are way past drinkability.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,386

    Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

    Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    These observations raise a good question: Is there a too old age for ryes (and bourbons as well) - when they are past their prime? There are some highly praised 21 year old and 23 year old ryes. Yet, here are a couple of 25 year old spirits that are way past drinkability.
    Unfortunately too many variables for a single answer. The same mash in different barrels in different levels of different rick houses can produce different results. The palate of one person might find the same whiskey to be perfect for them whilst another person finds it to be tired, over oaked and not worth the cost. Age is only one piece of the puzzle.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A tasting of 5 ryes
    By tommyboy38 in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-23-2010, 07:53
  2. Two new Ryes in NC
    By deaconbones in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 01:23
  3. New ryes
    By Gillman in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 16:59
  4. "New" ryes
    By BobA in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 22:52
  5. Are ryes getting better?
    By Gillman in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 08:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top