Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Thoughts on Willett ryes

I was at Willett a couple of days ago and saw two interesting ryes in their gift shop. One was a Vintage 23 year old and the other a Willett FE 25 year old. Price was $229 for the 23 and $249 for the 25. Almost embarrassed to admit I was tempted but wanted some other opinions first. Anyone have any experience with either of these ryes?

Enthusiast

Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    I was at Willett a couple of days ago and saw two interesting ryes in their gift shop. One was a Vintage 23 year old and the other a Willett FE 25 year old. Price was $229 for the 23 and $249 for the 25. Almost embarrassed to admit I was tempted but wanted some other opinions first. Anyone have any experience with either of these ryes?
    There are lots of reviews around of the Vintage 23, but it came out 4 or 5 years ago, so I assume what they have in the gift shop now is a new bottling that's not necessarily the same.

A friend and I were at the gift shop last summer and he bought one of the 25-year FE bottles. We opened it a couple months later and thought it was pretty tired and over-oaked. For the price I wouldn't recommend it.

Thoughts on Willett ryes

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    There are lots of reviews around of the Vintage 23, but it came out 4 or 5 years ago, so I assume what they have in the gift shop now is a new bottling that's not necessarily the same.
    I heard that they got some back from a distributor and just marked up the price. If true, that would suggest that it is the same V23 that was released a few years ago.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I heard that they got some back from a distributor and just marked up the price. If true, that would suggest that it is the same V23 that was released a few years ago.
    What did V21 and V23 originally go for? I have never seen one on the shelf and wouldn't know what a "reasonable" price was. I suspect that $200 plus doesn't qualify as a good price though!

Same for Hirsch ryes. Only one I have seen was a Hirsch 25 rye at $233 and that didn't generate much interest either.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Thoughts on Willett ryes

I paid $54.99 for my V21s and have seen V23s for $74.99. That being said there are probably few left in stores

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I paid $54.99 for my V21s and have seen V23s for $74.99. That being said there are probably few left in stores
    Seeing that makes me back away from the $160 bottles I've been seeing - but the VR21 is so fuGGn good...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Thanks. Anything close to that and I would certainly be a buyer! At $200+ not so much.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I bought a 25 yr WFER last year for that price, and it is pretty bad. I was very disappointed - WAY over-oaked. Taste like char infused char. I'm experimenting with mixing it with some younger ryes in the hopes it will be drinkable.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Thoughts on Willett ryes

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    What did V21 and V23 originally go for? I have never seen one on the shelf and wouldn't know what a "reasonable" price was. I suspect that $200 plus doesn't qualify as a good price though!

Same for Hirsch ryes. Only one I have seen was a Hirsch 25 rye at $233 and that didn't generate much interest either.
    Like Mike, I have seen VR21 as low as the high $50s, but most bottles of VR21 and 23 that i have come across have been between $80-100.

Thoughts on Willett ryes

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I bought a 25 yr WFER last year for that price, and it is pretty bad. I was very disappointed - WAY over-oaked. Taste like char infused char. I'm experimenting with mixing it with some younger ryes in the hopes it will be drinkable.
    I thought the same thing when I first tried a friends bottle. 6 months later he pulled it out again and I felt very differently. Either it had mellowed out or my palate was simply ready for it that night. Either way I enjoyed it immensely and the bottle was polished off.