Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Advanced Taster

Re: Thoughts on Willett ryes

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    ... A friend and I were at the gift shop last summer and he bought one of the 25-year FE bottles. We opened it a couple months later and thought it was pretty tired and over-oaked. For the price I wouldn't recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I bought a 25 yr WFER last year for that price, and it is pretty bad. I was very disappointed - WAY over-oaked. Taste like char infused char. ...
    These observations raise a good question: Is there a too old age for ryes (and bourbons as well) - when they are past their prime? There are some highly praised 21 year old and 23 year old ryes. Yet, here are a couple of 25 year old spirits that are way past drinkability.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    These observations raise a good question: Is there a too old age for ryes (and bourbons as well) - when they are past their prime? There are some highly praised 21 year old and 23 year old ryes. Yet, here are a couple of 25 year old spirits that are way past drinkability.
    Unfortunately too many variables for a single answer. The same mash in different barrels in different levels of different rick houses can produce different results. The palate of one person might find the same whiskey to be perfect for them whilst another person finds it to be tired, over oaked and not worth the cost. Age is only one piece of the puzzle.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Agree with Bruce - I've had 23 yr rye from Willett that was stunning.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

The truth is any whisky aged in a new charred oak barrel will, at some point, turn to where the wood becomes overly dominate. The trick is to bottle it before that point. Sometimes older just means older.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The truth is any whisky aged in a new charred oak barrel will, at some point, turn to where the wood becomes overly dominate. The trick is to bottle it before that point. Sometimes older just means older.
    I believe that's been shown with some very aged single-malt scotch.

Advanced Taster

You guys are lucky, I haven't seen a bottle of v17 here for the last year or more and have never seen the rye. Getting to the end of my last bottle of 17. Hoping to track some down in October when I'm in Louisville.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by bjhowell View Post
    You guys are lucky, I haven't seen a bottle of v17 here for the last year or more and have never seen the rye. Getting to the end of my last bottle of 17. Hoping to track some down in October when I'm in Louisville.
    Wish you genuine luck on that....but haven't seen any locally in KY in over a year. Kroger of all places seemed to have some later than the usual stops, but only Vintage bottles i've seen since are the highly marked up 23/25 ones in the Willett gift shop.