Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: VW or WT?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Van Winkle

64 66.67%
  • Wild Turkey

32 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

[POLL] One single family of bourbon

I am not normally a fan of trying to name the best bourbons, your favorite bourbons, your desertted island bourbons, etc. But, of course, it's different when I have my own idea.

Let's say your significant other told you to get rid of the bunker. She/he are tired of the kids going barefoot and having holes in their underwear.

You protest and are able to get him/her to agree to you having one type of whiskey. You smile because you know that the two most often mentioned "types" of whiskey here at SB.com have several delicious bottlings.

So which one would you choose?

Enthusiast

Re: [POLL] One single family of bourbon

If that's the case then the Wild Turkey wins hands down. Their most expensive offering is way cheaper than the cheapest offering from VW. The fact that Wild Turkey can be purchased at any liquor store, while VW is available in only two in the state of Massachusetts is also a major factor.

I must admit on taste that it's not much different. I enjoy WT101 as my regular pour and at $28.99 for 1.5L it's a steal. Rare Breed for $25.99 is excellent and that's the cost for a low end VW product.

Chris

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Interesting...this could be chosen not just on which one you prefer but which one you have the most of...I think in either case it'll be a dead heat for me.

However in this theoretical situation, selling the VW sure would help get us out of the poor house quicker than selling the WT, but on the other hand the WT could be much more easily replaced (I'm assuming she would let me get a bottle to drink from time to time).

Ah the joys of being single...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Chuck,

Can it be that you posted this poll in 2003, and no one responded until 2006?

No matter.

Cost considerations aside, I would unhesitatingly go with . . . [hesitation] . . .

What I mean to say is . . . er . . . ah . . .

Now I see why no one responded for three years. I'll think it over and get back to you. Check back sometime in 2009.

Edited to add: Oh, I see now. Lots of folks voted, but no one posted a reply until today. Even that is a little strange, though.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Funny, I didn't catch that. See what new users turn up-they can bring life back to a long dead thread, making us realize just what we've been missing
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

I had to go with VW. I of course had to throw price and availability right out the window for this thread. Just too much great flavor in each bottle for me to let it go. Maybe it's not going to put shoes on the kid's feet, or take care of the holes in the underwear...But hey, daddies gotta be happy too right...
    Todd

Guru

Post Re: [POLL] One single family of bourbon

Wild Turkey for me.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Who really needs shoes. My grandfather said he had to walk to school each day in sub zero weather with 4 ft. snow drifts. Uphill each way no less. Going without shoes would be easy compared to that battle.

Chris

Connoisseur

It’s a tough call and I’m not really sure which family I like better than the other in terms of taste but I would have to go with the WT because of it’s wide availability, good price, and great taste. The main factor is the availability though.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Advanced Taster

For me it VW all the way. I like WT products well enough to keep some on hand, but I LOVE every VW product I've tried.

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies