Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: BOTM 7/13: Willet Pot Still Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    Why do they call it Pot Still? Was it once made with a pot still a couple hundred years ago?
    Based on what the tour guide told me when I visited the Willett Distillery this past spring, they call it Pot Still because that is the type of still they are currently using (although none of the juice coming of their pot still has aged enough to be bottled), and the pot still image is central to their marketing efforts (it is on much of their logo-emblazoned merchandise in the gift shop). And their Pot Still Reserve product is supposed to be their flagship brand. Eventually, when their own distillate finally matures, I suppose that they would then bottle it in their Pot Still Reserve bottles, making it more accurate. Per their website, the original Willett Distillery, dating back to the late 1930's, used a beer still and a column still (http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.co...ett-story.html).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    Why do they call it Pot Still?
    So they can charge more from those who don't look past labels.

Disciple

This is actually one of my regular pours. I just wish I knew more about where it came from.

Virtuoso

Not a Pot Still hater. Had it a few times in a local restaurant before dinner. Enjoyed the pour w a few rocks. It's ok but never wowed enough to buy.

Happy it's taking up their shelf space not mine
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Enthusiast

Bottle looks great on the bar, gets lots of looks from friends. However I will suggest other bottles for them to try.
    I grade it average pour or a bit lower.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

I have a bottle of this opened at the moment. It's just OK for my preferences. To me, there's not enough of the different elements that make it a good one. The burn was a little more than what it should be for what I'm getting on the other elements on flavor. I can drink it but it's not the first that I reach for. I'm unlikely to buy another bottle of these. I'll keep sipping on it. I'll see if time will change my mind on this one.

Advanced Taster

I received a Willett Pot Still bourbon for a gift this fall. Unfortunately I was really underwhelmed. Many <$20 pours beat it such as OGD BIB and Buffalo Trace in my opinion. Even from an artistic standpoint I find the bottle lacking. Then again my idea of a whiskey bottle is the OGD and Dant liter bottles. Grab 'em and pour and it fits in the cabinet when you're done.

Apprentice

I'm a huge fan of Willett Family Estate bottlings but the Pot Still boubon is not for me. Too new mak-y, raw and corny. I think the flashy bottle really appeals to people who are new to bourbon/don't really know what they're buying and get won over by the design.

Apprentice

Re: BOTM 7/13: Willett Pot Still Reserve

My Avatar is actually me at Willett dipping my finger in one of their fermenter tanks. Their tour is the best one I've been on, I highly recommend it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I've had it on multiple occasions and I can honestly say that there are cheaper liquid solvents that are just as good for removing heel marks from linoleum.

Overpriced mystery juice, not for me.
    I must agree! Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.