Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Best sipping rum to start with?

I first started with spirits by mixing rum and coke, and actually still do prefer that to a whiskey/coke. For neat drinks, I prefer bourbon. Lately, the rums have been catching my eye at the local BevMo and I've been curious about trying something 'nice' that can be had neat (i.e. not in a plastic bottle, ha!).

But since I know next to nothing about rums, I've got no clue where to start. Zaya, Flor de Cana 7 year, and Plantation Barbados seem to be well liked and won't break the bank in case I end up not liking it neat and won't cringe should I end up mixing them. Thoughts on those three? Something else I should look for instead? I'd like to keep it under $30/bottle. Thanks!

Guru
    There's a rum thread in the non-whiskey forum that's got a lot of great info.

But of your selection @ TotalWine, I'd start with the El Dorado 12 or 15. The 15 is a little funkier but ymmv - they're totally different rums (different blends) so the 15 isn't just the 12 with +3 yrs.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: Best sipping rum to start with?

El Dorado 5 year fits in that group nicely.

Guru

The Total Wine here has R.L. Seale's 10yo which is an expensive but tasty Barbados rum in a funky bottle.

But you can't go trying El Dorado 12 and 15. The 15 may drift over the $30 limit but it is well worth it in my opinion.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The Total Wine here has R.L. Seale's 10yo which is an expensive but tasty Barbados rum in a funky bottle.

But you can't go trying El Dorado 12 and 15. The 15 may drift over the $30 limit but it is well worth it in my opinion.
    I just posted this in the general bourbon discussion forum, but Total Wine isn't shipping spirits at the moment. "Logistical issues" with UPS that they're working out, whatever that means.

Virtuoso

I highly recommend El Dorado 12yr. The stuff is amazing and I need to get another bottle of it. Also recommend Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela. It's a little over $30 but is quite good, too.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

ElDo 15 has been $35 here in North Fla. until they started using a big new South Fla. distributor. Prices on all their products went up 40% at wholesale overnight. Looking at over $50 with tax now.

Guru

Raise the celing to 'less than' $40 and the choices broaden considerably but at under $30 Barbancourt 5 Star or Bacardi 8 yr is the upper limit and that's only on sale.
    Last edited by squire; 07-01-2013 at 16:25.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I highly recommend El Dorado 12yr. The stuff is amazing and I need to get another bottle of it. Also recommend Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela. It's a little over $30 but is quite good, too.
    You guys have anything good at your store, Matt? Could use some summertime rum.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Raise the celing to 'less than' $40 and the choices broaden considerable but at under $30 Barbancourt 5 Star or Bacardi 8 yr is the upper limit and that's only on sale.
    In these parts Barbancourt 5 star has been at $50 for more than a year now. It was at $45 for a long time before that. I was shocked at how reasonable it was in Atlanta when I was up there a few weeks ago. Sounds like you need to stock up Squire.