Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

I hope the surge in the popularity of rye eventually leads to a few ultra aged ryes available... I don't hold out much hope though as most of the 18+ ryes have been accidents and "found" barrels

Connoisseur

Re: Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    RE: Handy => Saz18
    That wouldn't be much differentiation (aside from age) between the two BTAC's?

Exactly, ChainWhip, which is why brand managers at BT are probably thinking about things like introducing Stagg Jr and probably bringing back Weller Cent and reshuffling the whole BTAC. I'd put money on it getting turned into 4 upper midshelf offerings @8-10 year @barrel proof and 4 expressions that are +16 years and proofed down for super premium prices. Of course in that scenario ER10 gets bumped up in proof and brought into the midshelf group as well along with Handy and Stagg Jr. and a Weller cent type product. Says the newb without a single industry source. Just a guess, and one that would make them some more money, but could lead to the demise of another budget brand like OWA... I feel like the devil just made me WRITE THAT!!! On second thought, I hope I'm wrong...
    Last edited by Wryguy; 07-01-2013 at 21:15.

Taster

Sorry, I don't recall where I read that, though likely here somewhere.

I also recall reading that there's only one Sazerac rye mashbill, usually in the context of folks saying that Handy is really just barrel strength Baby Saz. Given that, the eventual 18 year old should be that same standard recipe.

Guru
    Well shucks... Can't blame you if the devil made you do it ;-)

I hope you're wrong too but in the meantime, I thing KBD may be our best (*GASP*) hope for the oddball 15+ year rye?

Are there more older Rittenhouse barrels lounging around?
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 07-01-2013 at 22:57.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Well shucks... Can't blame you if the devil made you do it ;-)

I hope you're wrong too but in the meantime, I thing KBD may be our best (*GASP*) hope for the oddball 15+ year rye.

Are there more older Rittenhouse barrels lounging around?
    The TTB trolls have seen a label for a Jeffersons Presidential 21 year old rye coming soon. Speculation is that is Canadian sourced, which makes sense as their 10 yo is from up there as well.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikesville View Post
    The TTB trolls have seen a label for a Jeffersons Presidential 21 year old rye coming soon. Speculation is that is Canadian sourced, which makes sense as their 10 yo is from up there as well.
    If it's good, I'll probably bite. Although, I hope it's not 100% rye.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

The 20yr Hirsch canadian is terrible so hopefully the Jeff 21 will fare better...

Connoisseur

Does your interwebz source say if this new Saz18 line is the same as the THH mashbill or is it different?
    They must be different mash bills, the profiles taste nothing alike. THH is Baby Saz without the water and tastes syrupy sweet as compared to the herbal notes of the Saz18.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Where is the information coming from that the longer aged Ryes are fazing out? I'm not saying it's not true, just curious?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    They must be different mash bills, the profiles taste nothing alike. THH is Baby Saz without the water and tastes syrupy sweet as compared to the herbal notes of the Saz18.
    Right- current Saz 18 is a totally different creature, but once it runs out its successor will be the THH with more time in barrel. Lets hope that end product is as fine as today's.