Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What's your favorite BIB and why?

Squire, what do you know about Ancient Age BIB and Old Weller Original? I haven't seen an AA BIB since the early '90s. Wish I had tasting notes but back then I thought bourbon was just something you drank. I didn't know I was suppoed to obsess about it and get ready for a quiz on Monday.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    as a side question......ive heard a few rumors the HH 6 year white BIB is going away. is this true? i like it, but wouldnt say i love it. yet, if its going away, its cheap enough to buy a whole case and stash it away without spending a fortune.
    I can tell you that a couple months ago at Liquor Barn the HH BIB 750s were age-stated 6 year but the handles had no age statement.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    I can tell you that a couple months ago at Liquor Barn the HH BIB 750s were age-stated 6 year but the handles had no age statement.
    It was noted here on SB maybe a year ago, that the liters and the 1.75s were showing up NAS...but the 750s still had the age statement. So its probably only a matter of time for the 750s to be NAS...I'm assuming
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    It was noted here on SB maybe a year ago, that the liters and the 1.75s were showing up NAS...but the 750s still had the age statement. So its probably only a matter of time for the 750s to be NAS...I'm assuming
    If you look on the right side of the main, lower label on the handles in this pic, it's still stated as being 6 years old: https://www.thepartysource.com/express/item.php?id=9949 TPS usually updates their pics, though I haven't been there in person in a year. It's definitely not as big as the statements on the 750s.

Guru

i thought i remembered reading some time ago that the 1.75s didnt have a prominent age statement on the front, but it was on the back somewhere. hopefully its all still 6 years.

but, i would guarantee that its going to go away. think about it for a minute, as a bean counter would.....a 6 year HH labeled BIB, and a 4 year (NAS) EW BIB. very very similar in taste. basic math, find the common denominator, which is 12. in 12 years, heaven hill can create two entire theoretical warehouses full of HH 6 year BIB and bottle/sell it. OR, in those twelve years, they can create 3 entire theoretical warehouses full of EW BIB. that's 50% more bourbon sold in the same 12 year time. plus, just having the EW name on it raises the price over something with HH name on it. it is win-win for them

bet on it. its not like HH labeled products have fierce followers like MM, who would riot over any change. people would grumble about it, wipe the shelves clean, and then it would be forgotten in no time.

out of curiousity, i looked today and there was plenty of 6 year white HH at the neighborhood pharmacy. for references purpose, they also fully restocked the shelf with AAA 10 year 1.75's. last week they had one and i thought that would be the last one i saw. there were 8 today. not that i care, i dont want any......too low a proof.
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 07-03-2013 at 12:35.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Squire, what do you know about Ancient Age BIB
    I remember Ancient Age BIB as being a well rounded, balanced whisky. More for what it wasn't than what it was, the usual Bourbon elements of wood, caramel and spice present yet kept in restraint, not being marred by a discordant off note. Nothing exceptional, nothing wrong, good mixer.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    they also fully restocked the shelf with AAA 10 year 1.75's. last week they had one and i thought that would be the last one i saw. there were 8 today. not that i care, i dont want any......too low a proof.
    You might want to grab a few anyway Doug, hold them for 10 years then trade 'em for something you do want.

Guru

are there that many raving AAA 10 year fans? despite all the hype of discontinuing it, theres been no shortage of it anywhere that ive seen.

Guru

Give a though to what any 10 year old Bourbon will be selling for ten years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Squire, what do you know about Ancient Age BIB and Old Weller Original? I haven't seen an AA BIB since the early '90s. Wish I had tasting notes but back then I thought bourbon was just something you drank. I didn't know I was suppoed to obsess about it and get ready for a quiz on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I remember Ancient Age BIB as being a well rounded, balanced whisky. More for what it wasn't than what it was, the usual Bourbon elements of wood, caramel and spice present yet kept in restraint, not being marred by a discordant off note. Nothing exceptional, nothing wrong, good mixer.
    The AA BIB was discontinued two or three years ago. I received a bottle courtesy of another member one time, and really liked it. After that, I was lucky enough to find a couple of 750's, and a small stash of 200 ml's. I still have one 750 and a few of the 200's left. I don't open one very often. I like it that much. Squire's notes were pretty good, although I think it's a pretty darned good sipper too. I'd rate it slightly above the HH 6yr BIB and EW BIB.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"