Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: What's your favorite BIB and why?

I can't pick just one favorite BIB. I have a few.

As far as current offerings go, I'd pick EW BIB and HH White Label 6yr BIB. Both really good, and both reasonably priced too. With both, you get more than what you paid for, for a change. Great value pours IMHO.

For dusty BIB's, I like Old Fitz BIB and Old Forester BIB. Doesn't get much better than these two. Personally, I think I'd give the edge to the Old Forester BIB. I know a lot of folks here would disagree because of the SW connection with the Old Fitz. Just my personal preference.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    are there that many raving AAA 10 year fans? despite all the hype of discontinuing it, theres been no shortage of it anywhere that ive seen.
    I have to get mine shipped in, at a hefty premium when you include the shipping costs - kind of jealous you can find it in a pharmacy of all places!

BiB pickings are slim around me - I'd say OGD BiB and VOB BiB are my favorites - and the latter I also have to ship in. I'd like to find a HH BiB, but most likely I'll have to get these shipped as well. So imagine what those are really costing me!
    Last edited by sutton; 07-03-2013 at 16:57.
    Mark

Disciple

Currently available?HH 6yr hands down on the profile per dollar scale,amazing stuff!Too bad it's.......damn shame!I would agree with Joe partially in the dusty category,I love me some Old Fitz BIB, it's magically delicious!
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Disciple

are there that many raving AAA 10 year fans? despite all the hype of discontinuing it, theres been no shortage of it anywhere that ive seen.
    I have only recently tried it. I had to buy it in KY. So, right now, it is not a must have. However, if I lived in KY, it would be. I like it about as much as Blanton's which I like a lot. They are very similar in taste, even with the proof difference. Unfortunately, it is not available in central Indiana.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I actually think that OGD has more of a rye bite to it than Ritt.
    I agree. I did a tasting of a few BIBs not too long ago and thought the Ritt BIB bore an unexpected similarity to the EW BIB.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I remember Ancient Age BIB as being a well rounded, balanced whisky. More for what it wasn't than what it was, the usual Bourbon elements of wood, caramel and spice present yet kept in restraint, not being marred by a discordant off note. Nothing exceptional, nothing wrong, good mixer.
    Interesting you should say that, Squire, because the one time I had some AA BIB, "balanced" was the word that most came to mind. Just ask anyone who was in chat that night.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

My favorite BIB would have to be the EHTSmB. I have yet to try the SB. OGD and VOB are tied for a close second.

Connoisseur

The 10 yr is great, next time yer in Chicago swing by for a taste.

i assume OHH is old heaven hill?

wasnt aware of a 10 year. i knew there was an 8 year, but it was long gone before i learned of bourbon. is the 6 year going away now? ive seen posts reporting that.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

The malted milk ball taste of Old Forester BIB is awesome, SW Old Fitz BIB is another great pour. But I really just love that HH 10yr it is well put together, comparing it to the Henry McKenna which is a single barrel 10yr BIB, the Mckenna has been in my experience super thin, lacks the nice mouthfeel of hh10yr.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

since the 8 year is no more, i am assuming when you guys talk about 10 year heaven hill, you are talking about stuff you hoarded years ago and is long since gone?

Guru

Bought it, drank it, tossed the empties.