Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Novice

Re: 5 that are ALWAYS in your rotation

I almost always have Four Roses Small Batch and Elijah Craig 12 Year, sometimes Weller 12, a rye for Manhattans (usually Old Overholt or Rittenhouse when I can find it), and lastly Bookers.

Guru

id gladly add bookers and bakers to my list, if the pricing were better. for now, i only get bookers when we pre-lube at one local bar before walking across the street to the karaoke bar. this bar pours about a 4-5oz 'shot' of bookers for me, and charges $8.50. awesome! 2 'shots' of that and some bar food, and im a rock star!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    this bar pours about a 4-5oz 'shot' of bookers for me, and charges $8.50. awesome! 2 'shots' of that and some bar food, and im a rock star!
    Wow - definitely hope they keep that barkeep!! An honest 2 oz pour typically passes $10 around here! At that rate, they're losing money Bookers is a bit pricey to me in terms of value, but I almost always have a 50mL bottle in case I'm in the mood.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    id gladly add bookers and bakers to my list, if the pricing were better. for now, i only get bookers when we pre-lube at one local bar before walking across the street to the karaoke bar. this bar pours about a 4-5oz 'shot' of bookers for me, and charges $8.50. awesome! 2 'shots' of that and some bar food, and im a rock star!
    8-10oz of +60% abv alcohol and you're able to walk across the street?

*equivalent to about half a bottle @40%

Connoisseur

The 5 bourbons always in my rotation are: Weller OWA and or 12, anything from HH that is B.I.B., VOB, OGD B.I.B. or 114, Old Forester 100, and for rye any of the LDI ryes bottled at 90 proof or more (Dickel Rye, Bulleit Rye, Willett Rye). I like to try new stuff, but find that I always return to these.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    8-10oz of +60% abv alcohol and you're able to walk across the street?

*equivalent to about half a bottle @40%

yeah, its a rare thing for me to do though. thats how a group of my classmates and I celebrated our successful completion of last semester. and probably how we will celebrate the same in December this year. Their food is awesome too, so you better make sure to eat plenty with that much bookers being drank.
    Last edited by 393foureyedfox; 07-14-2013 at 08:45.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Wow - definitely hope they keep that barkeep!! An honest 2 oz pour typically passes $10 around here! At that rate, they're losing money .

its not just that one bartender........the whole bar has been known forever for cheap large pours like this. Last time we were there, i had one 'pour' or makers (wanted to see why its popular, and even after, i still dont understand) for $6.50, one bookers for $8.50, and a 50ml of JBB that i had in my pocket. then, when we got to the karaoke bar, they had willet pot still on the wall, so i ordered a "shot" of that to try, and it was a carefully measured 1 oz shot, and it was $11. so, obviously, we pre-lube at the first bar! youd go broke drinking at the karaoke bar. but, i will always buy at least one drink there, plus lots of bottled water and coke....they have to make money too!

Enthusiast

FR Smb, FR SB, Dickle 12, EC 12, Weller 12

Connoisseur

Not saying I do it often, but while I working out in the field I have split a bottle (1/2 and 1/2) of 90 proof bourbon with a buddy a few times. It ain't good for your liver but if you do it over 2 hours with some food, it's really not that big of a deal. Drunk yes, but not falling down so. Of course we weren't driving or anything

Taster

My rotation has settled into the following: Elmer T Lee, Woodford, OWA, Weller 12 & Larceny. Wheaters are my preference, ETL is just great stuff and I use Woodford as my gateway bourbon. I supplement the lineup with some guest stars, depending on who us coming over for drinks.