Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: 5 that are ALWAYS in your rotation

Old Grand Dad BiB or 114
    Old Weller Antique
    Elijah Craig 12 Yr
    Wild Turkey 81 (just kidding...I mean the 101)
    Very Old Barton BiB

Taster

FRSmB, EC12, Dickel12, ETL, Kirkland SmB 7yo

Enthusiast

This evolves and needs to be updated, what, every couple months?
    EC12
    RittRyeBIB
    Willett Rye-4 yr
    OGD114
    OWA107

Virtuoso

• Weller Special Reserve
    • Weller 12
    • VOB BIB
    • GTS
    • Something from Four Roses - SmB at a minimum, but right now I have four SiBs open - 2012 LE, 2013 LE, Gift shop OESQ and OBSF
    • A rye for Manhattans (current one is Old Scout Rye)

Yes, I know that is six, but one is a rye. ;-)
    A man's got to know his limitations.

-Harry Callahan, Magnum Force

Taster

EC12
    OGD BIB
    ETL
    KC120
    Ritt BIB

While it's still early on in my bourbon career, all five of those I've been sure to never run out of since I first bought a bottle.
    "The light music of whiskey falling into a glass -- an agreeable interlude." -- James Joyce

Connoisseur

Weller 12
    4RSB
    ETL
    EWSB
    Ritt BIB

Guru

I don't know if I've already posted in this thread but:

OWA
    ETL
    FRSB or SmB
    WTRB
    OGD 114

Not necessarily my favorites, but they are close. They are also readily available and I would be happy if that's all I could ever buy.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Eagle Rare 10 yr. The combo of taste/price = value makes it my go-to pour.

After that, I don't have a rotation. My "problem" (if you can call it that) is that I'm relatively new to bourbon, at least as a hobby/obsession. So I've been enthusiastically experimenting/collecting for the last half year. Which leads to dilemmas. I'll have a couple pours of ETL. mmmm, delicious. But I need to try a wheater or two. Oh yeah, should I drink OGD114 neat, with a splash of water or an ice cube? That Rowan's Creek bottle is starting to look lonely, is it really as good as I remembered? And I need to check out that Smooth Ambler VOS I dropped some hard-earned cash on. Wait, am I giving the Wild Turkey brand a fair shake?

Who has the time for a rotation?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post

After that, I don't have a rotation. My "problem" (if you can call it that) is that I'm relatively new to bourbon, at least as a hobby/obsession. So I've been enthusiastically experimenting/collecting for the last half year. Which leads to dilemmas. I'll have a couple pours of ETL. mmmm, delicious. But I need to try a wheater or two. Oh yeah, should I drink OGD114 neat, with a splash of water or an ice cube? That Rowan's Creek bottle is starting to look lonely, is it really as good as I remembered? And I need to check out that Smooth Ambler VOS I dropped some hard-earned cash on. Wait, am I giving the Wild Turkey brand a fair shake?

In the same boat here. Have a lot of bourbon that i am slowly working through to figure out my tastes. I have figured out a couple of things that I do like and have started to bunker a bit:

Elijah Craig 12/BS
    Russel's Reserve 10/SB
    Weller 12
    Wild turkey Rare Breed

I have noticed I like to buy barrel proof (or close) and that i like to choose my own water cut. Elijah Craig 12 cut to 35% is not as good as Elijah Craig BS cut to 35%. Just bought a bottle of booker's today, have only had it in hotel bars so far.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santana View Post

Patience grasshopper. Make this a marathon, not a sprint. Try what you want, when you want. Experiment with how you like to drink it, ice water, neat. Nobody is an expert to your taste except you. There is no wrong, or right way...but the most important thing is, enjoy the journey.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...