Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234

    Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    Thanks to many of you here on SB, I've recently discovered a love of gracefully aged ryes. Given my lack of history/experience with the subject, my perspective on the lack of aged rye products on the market could be skewed... But it appears to me that there's not a lot of aged ryes in the pipelines and the semi-regular releases are drawing from diminishing stocks. This coupled with the Rye shortage in general nets a negative outlook on the prospect of more older Rye products.

    A few questions:

    - Saz18/VWFRR: there's only so much of this left so what's the plans to replenish/substitute existing stock? Or will said expressions simply cease to exist?

    - Do we know if any of the "Majors" are laying away barrels of ryes for longer aging?

    - Any rumors / insider info on the possibility of more releases of older ryes?

    Thanks again for all your help & gracious sharing of knowledge!

    -Johnny
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbus, IN
    Posts
    674

    Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Thanks to many of you here on SB, I've recently discovered a love of gracefully aged ryes. Given my lack of history/experience with the subject, my perspective on the lack of aged rye products on the market could be skewed... But it appears to me that there's not a lot of aged ryes in the pipelines and the semi-regular releases are drawing from diminishing stocks. This coupled with the Rye shortage in general nets a negative outlook on the prospect of more older Rye products.

    A few questions:

    - Saz18/VWFRR: there's only so much of this left so what's the plans to replenish/substitute existing stock? Or will said expressions simply cease to exist?

    - Do we know if any of the "Majors" are laying away barrels of ryes for longer aging?

    - Any rumors / insider info on the possibility of more releases of older ryes?

    Thanks again for all your help & gracious sharing of knowledge!

    -Johnny
    Here is a screen shot of my phone. I share your affinity for a good rye and remembered seeing this a while back. It only addresses the Saz 18 though. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372736004.501851.jpg

  3. #3
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234
    I remember seeing that too and got all hot & bothered ;/)

    But John Hansell came in and set the record straight on that:

    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post318168

    I'm hoping BT let's the Saz18 go out with a bang by bottling the final release @ barrel proof!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    673

    Re: Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    Here is a screen shot of my phone. I share your affinity for a good rye and remembered seeing this a while back. It only addresses the Saz 18 though. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372736004.501851.jpg
    That is a huge sample bottle! If I didn't have a buncha bottles of these older ryes bunkered I'd be jealous. Who am I kidding? I want some!

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbus, IN
    Posts
    674

    Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I remember seeing that too and got all hot & bothered ;/)

    But John Hansell came in and set the record straight on that:

    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...l=1#post318168

    I'm hoping BT let's the Saz18 go out with a bang by bottling the final release @ barrel proof!
    Well shit. I was excited too. Surely to goodness they have something in the pipeline. But yeah I would love to see more barrel proof rye. I think Jefferson's & WhistlePig would be fantastic @ barrel proof

  6. #6
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Columbus, IN
    Posts
    674

    Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    Also, I would like to seem them @ 15 years and older. Man ryes age so well. Well hell now I want some and the only rye I saw today was Jim Beam Rye. :-(
    Have to wait till I get home. The U.P. of Michigan does not have much of anything in the way of rye or bourbon to choose from. Should have brought my own.

  7. #7
    Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    55

    Re: Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    I've heard (from the Internet so you know it's true) that Sazerac has laid down more to eventually replenish the Saz 18 line with "new" make. No idea when that started so someday they may cut over from the tanked stocks to something else.

    Barrel strength sure would be nice when that day comes...

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    673

    Re: Aged Ryes: One-time artifact of the '80s Bust?

    First release of Handy was 2006, it was six years old when bottled, so the math would say barrel strength Handy @18 years will not be out until 2018, and that won't be in quantities nearly commensurate to where demand will be for the product in 5 years time. And it'll be BT make, which will be different from that Cream of Kentucky Bernheim stock that is in the current Saz 18 releases.

  9. #9
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    First release of Handy was 2006, it was six years old when bottled, so the math would say barrel strength Handy @18 years will not be out until 2018, and that won't be in quantities nearly commensurate to where demand will be for the product in 5 years time. And it'll be BT make, which will be different from that Cream of Kentucky Bernheim stock that is in the current Saz 18 releases.
    Is that Bernheim stock from the "old" Bernheim distillery?

    RE: Handy => Saz18
    That wouldn't be much differentiation (aside from age) between the two BTAC's?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikesville View Post
    I've heard (from the Internet so you know it's true) that Sazerac has laid down more to eventually replenish the Saz 18 line with "new" make. No idea when that started so someday they may cut over from the tanked stocks to something else.

    Barrel strength sure would be nice when that day comes...
    Does your interwebz source say if this new Saz18 line is the same as the THH mashbill or is it different?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

    "Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. First Irish Moonshine Bust in 30 Years.
    By cowdery in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 15:46
  2. Long Time Drinker, First Time Poster
    By mosugoji64 in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 07:51
  3. I am sad - local store goes bust
    By MarkEdwards in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 05:14
  4. Forty Creek Bargain Or Bust?
    By MJL in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 18:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top