Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Black Maple Hill

Picked up a bottle of this randomly over the weekend. I can't seem to find much info on it. Does anyone have a clue what the age is? According to my research, earlier releases vary in years. Thanks for any help!

Connoisseur

Re: Black Maple Hill

Quote Originally Posted by petrel800 View Post
    Thank you for that. I actually found this site in search of this recent release of BMH, on one of those fascinating search engines. I've found info on the previous releases such as the 11, 14, 16, 18, and 20 year old; but nothing indicates the age of this recent release. I understand that my post count must obviously mean I do not know how to use google. I figured since I could not find it anywhere else, someone on a bourbon forum may know. Thanks for anyone who can help.

Connoisseur

Unless there is an age on the top front label, it is a "NAS" (no age statement) bottling. This is the standard release, and if I had to guess it would be between 4 - 6 years. However, the only guarantee is that it is at least 2 years old, as required by the "straight bourbon" category.

Disciple

I believe Trey has nailed it for you. Here is a very nice article written about BMH from a couple of years ago. A deconstruction, courtesy of my favorite Bourbon writer, Kentucky Colonel Chuck Cowdery.
    http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/201...aple-hill.html

Guru

Chew, a Straight Bourbon is a minimum of 4 years unless the label says less. At 2-3 years it's still a straight but labeling laws say less than 4 years must be stated. Alternatively, it could contain older whisky (6-8-10 years) which is what the large houses do to maintain a flavor profile but a small outfit like KBD doesn't have the resource to make large vattings which is why bottling runs of BMH are variable.

Thank you guys for the insight. I plan to open the bottle tomorrow to celebrate the 4th. Does anyone have an opinion on this recen BMH?

Guru

Chew we refer to these as NDP (non-distilling producer) brands because they are produced and distributed by an owner who doesn't actually make whisky themselves. As a consequence it's difficult to make a broad assessment of a brand that may (often does) contain whisky from a different source in the next run.

After trying your bottle if you like it let me suggest you buy a few Heaven Hill brands for comparison and further tastings.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Chewvenile View Post
    Thank you guys for the insight. I plan to open the bottle tomorrow to celebrate the 4th. Does anyone have an opinion on this recen BMH?
    I've only had one BMH SmB, about a year and a half ago - it was OK, but I found it very corny - just reminded me of corn oil, actually. For the price, it was a pass. Hope your batch is better ...
    Mark

Virtuoso

I had a bottle about a year back, remember it getting more and more peppery as the bottle aired out. I have a backup now i'm terrified to open since i've read such varied reviews.

I was shocked to see it jump from $35 to $51 in one year too.