Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Black Maple Hill

This may sound bad...but I keep a bottle open on my bar because one of my friends has no appreciation for good whiskey and a snob's mentality. He's obsessed with every "have to get" bourbon. I've seen him mix Pappy with coke. I love him but he's never gonna change. The BMH keeps him distracted from my actual good stuff.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    This may sound bad...but I keep a bottle open on my bar because one of my friends has no appreciation for good whiskey and a snob's mentality. He's obsessed with every "have to get" bourbon. I've seen him mix Pappy with coke. I love him but he's never gonna change. The BMH keeps him distracted from my actual good stuff.
    Now THAT is funny...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    Now THAT is funny...
    and is brillant!

Guru

And a sensible use of the stuff, heck, you can even refill the bottle with Benchmark which might be a step up.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    And a sensible use of the stuff, heck, you can even refill the bottle with Benchmark which might be a step up.
    Now THAT'S brilliant. .
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

You guys are funny

Advanced Taster

I saw in the comments of the Chuck Cowdery Blog referenced earlier in this thread that BMH had been discontinued for now. Does anyone know if that is true?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    I saw in the comments of the Chuck Cowdery Blog referenced earlier in this thread that BMH had been discontinued for now. Does anyone know if that is true?
    Don't remember seeing that, but even so....as they get more product, they bottle and ship more. Given that they just took a significant price increase and still seem to be selling out, i'd doubt they'd walk away from free money.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post
    It is amazing that BMH has caught the buzz it has as if it were a "premium" bourbon.
    Barely a decade ago we didn't have this wide selection of single barrels, barrel proofs, small batches, limited editions, and so forth you lucky chaps have today. Black Maple Hill was one of the few longer aged (16 years) Bourbons on the market and it was shamelessly hyped (read the K&L description) by those who made money selling it. I bought a couple of bottles for around $35 each before they became famous from a merchant who was tired of watching them collect dust.

I and the members of my tasting group found it to be a very good whisky past it's prime that had become wood dominate. I believe that some customers who are recently introduced to Bourbon (say the last five years or so) pay a lot for an old whisky expecting it to be something special and finding it woody come to believe wood dominance is characteristic of fine Bourbon. It's not of course, it just means it's old, but the market moves in mysterious ways.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nd2005 View Post
    Funny and a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I believe that some customers who are recently introduced to Bourbon (say the last five years or so) pay a lot for an old whisky expecting it to be something special and finding it woody come to believe wood dominance is characteristic of fine Bourbon. It's not of course, it just means it's old, but the market moves in mysterious ways.
    A fellow SBer and I were just talking about the samples we were trading, one of which was some OGD 86 from 1982. We both agreed that's really how bourbon should taste and it's probably no more than 6-8 yrs. if that old. I'll have to admit that I've had some very good wheaters in their teens though and some excellent wheaters that were only 7.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.