Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 80
  1. #51

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    If anyone is looking for BMH in the Savannah / Hilton Head area, let me know. I can't stop running into the stuff. The bottle that I have didn't impress me for the money.

  2. #52
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    141

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    When I got "serious" about learning about and appreciating bourbon, I was reading everything I could find about bourbon. That is I found SB. Anyways, one article had BMH as one of the best/must have bourbons. So, it has been one of those bottles that I have always said I would buy if I ever actually saw one. A friend found it and picked me up a bottled for $42 last weekend.

    I tried it last night (neat) and I would say it was pretty good. The nose was super sweet. There was a sweet and almost floral taste with a hint of spice. I thought the feel was a little “thick” on the tongue too. Kind of like Blanton’s, it lets you it’s in there. Also, it warms up the pallet on the back end of the taste, but not too bad. It was by no means hot like a young bourbon, but just a bit of warmth to let you know it was there, and I liked that. The finish was sweet also, and the heat dissipates rather quickly.

    In conclusion, I enjoyed it, but I will wait a week or two try another pour. I want see if it opens up a bit. It was not so good I would start bunkering the stuff, but it was good enough I would purchase it again.

  3. #53
    Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    76

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    Different Strokes for different folks.

    I've got a bottle I opened and had one glass out of. I'm going to give it one more shot but if it isn't better than I remember it being I'm giving it away to the next person in Atlanta to say they like it.
    Matt
    International man of mystery

    Frantically searching for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....

  4. #54
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,400

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by rndenks View Post
    When I got "serious" about learning about and appreciating bourbon, I was reading everything I could find about bourbon. That is I found SB. Anyways, one article had BMH as one of the best/must have bourbons. So, it has been one of those bottles that I have always said I would buy if I ever actually saw one. A friend found it and picked me up a bottled for $42 last weekend.

    I tried it last night (neat) and I would say it was pretty good. The nose was super sweet. There was a sweet and almost floral taste with a hint of spice. I thought the feel was a little “thick” on the tongue too. Kind of like Blanton’s, it lets you it’s in there. Also, it warms up the pallet on the back end of the taste, but not too bad. It was by no means hot like a young bourbon, but just a bit of warmth to let you know it was there, and I liked that. The finish was sweet also, and the heat dissipates rather quickly.

    In conclusion, I enjoyed it, but I will wait a week or two try another pour. I want see if it opens up a bit. It was not so good I would start bunkering the stuff, but it was good enough I would purchase it again.
    Early BMH was age stated and apparently got a hold of some pretty good sourced older bourbon and rye whiskies on which they built their name it seems. The current NAS stuff seems to be generally poor in comparison and not worth the cost to me. They were originally trying to sell the NAS red label bourbon for $60 here. No thanks! Even at $40 I wouldn't be buying as there are too many better options for me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

    Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

  5. #55
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NWGA
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    This is a good thread that shows how diverse our taste are. Personally I wouldn't buy another bottle of this if it was $9.99 especailly when I can get a 1.75 of VOB for a lot less than what the BMH cost.
    Different strokes for different folks.

  6. #56
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    663

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    This is a good thread that shows how diverse our taste are. Personally I wouldn't buy another bottle of this if it was $9.99 especailly when I can get a 1.75 of VOB for a lot less than what the BMH cost.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I agree. I wouldn't know what to do with another bottle with this one still 80% full. I am actually going to pour the current bottle into 50ml bottles for the guys I know at my local stores. They were telling me to buy their BMH and telling me how good they are but they said it has been a while since they've sampled it because it's been so difficult to get. They said they remember it to be really good. So, asked me if I am willing to let them try a few sips of the current bottling.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    11,566

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    I think the best way to decide if it's worth $40 is to blind taste it against others in that price range.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

  8. #58
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    663

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I think the best way to decide if it's worth $40 is to blind taste it against others in that price range.
    That's a great idea. It would be interesting to hear some thoughts on what other bourbons in this price range should be in the line up. If I have them or have the ability to buy them, I'll definitely try this out. I feel that I already know the answer but I'd do it anyway for the fun of it

  9. #59
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    184

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by hn4bourbon View Post
    That's a great idea. It would be interesting to hear some thoughts on what other bourbons in this price range should be in the line up. If I have them or have the ability to buy them, I'll definitely try this out. I feel that I already know the answer but I'd do it anyway for the fun of it
    If I had $40 to spend and could only buy one bourbon BMH would not be it. Unfortunately BMH is $55 in our retail market which makes it even tougher. I would definitely take ECBP over BMH at the price. I would also take most FRSB Barrel Strength. With all that said, I have the luxury of spending a bit more on my shelf and think BMH is a good one to add for variety.

  10. #60
    Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    76

    Re: Black Maple Hill

    If someone will point me in the direction of those little 50ml bottles I've got a whole bottle of this stuff Ill send out. A quick google search didn't turn up much.
    Matt
    International man of mystery

    Frantically searching for Elijah Craig Barrel Proof....

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Black Maple Hill 23
    By jtexaslonestar in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 17:22
  2. Black Maple Hill 21
    By TimmyBoston in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 00:10
  3. Black Maple Hill 16Y
    By lifeisgood in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 17:57
  4. Black Maple Hill Rye, 18 yrs. old
    By BobA in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 11:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top