Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Hill Farms

Guru

Rock Hill Farms

I cracked open my first bottle of RHF last night and I'm not sure what to think about it. It has a "pine tree" nose and the taste is cinnamon predominant. After sitting for a while it changes and gets a little sweeter on the nose and tounge. I love ETL and expected this to be a bolder version, but I don't get much similarity between the two. I've attached some pics of the bottle and cork. That stain on the mouth of the bottle was there when I opened it. Do you think I possibly got an "off" bottle, or do I need to give it few more trys before I pass judgement? Note: when I opened it some small pieces of cork fell in the bottle. I've had this happen with bottles in the past and just left them in there since it didn't bother me. Would that affect the flavor much?
    IMAG0141.jpgIMAG0142.jpgIMAG0145.jpg
    Insert TheNovaMan's signature here (___________)

Virtuoso

Re: Rock Hill Farms

I've only had one bottle each of RHF and ETL but I don't disagree with your assessment. RHF, while not bad, seemed very subtle, almost muted, compared to ETL, which I like much better. I do note some family resemblance between the two, but the differences are more prominent than the similarities. The only flavor that really stood out with RHF was some green apple hints.

Not sure about the cork issues but the lower 1/3 of my RHF cork broke off last week (using the bottle as a decanter for other things). Seemed clean, though.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Apprentice

Rock Hill Farms

I found my bottle of RHF to be a more subtly nuanced version of my ETL bottle. Definite family resemblance, but the RHF had a bit more complexity and balance. And it had a much better and longer finish than the Elmer. Enjoyment of the ETL seemed to drop precipitously when entering the finish.

I had a blind test of my RHF (down to a few ounces alas) against 4R Limited Edition Single Barrel 2012 last night. Very different bourbons, but I think I preferred the RHF -- even more at $30 less.

And my cork didn't look anything like that. Doesn't look healthy.

Enthusiast

Damn ... I'm more impressed with the $39.99 price tag ... goes for $52 in my area ... BTW, my RHF cork looks white and dense ... looked very fresh and new ...
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Guru

That's why I grabbed it. I don't think it's normal for the whiskey to leak out and leave a stain on the bottle either... It was the last they had. I'll see if I can get them to give me store credit.

Enthusiast

Speaking of RHF, the K&L email today mentioned that might also be affected by the shortages. No big deal since Blantons is usually around and I don't think anyone is making RHF their daily pour.

"In any case, now that the Weller 12 is gone for a while, I expect the Rock Hill Farms label from Buffalo Trace to vanish with it. The CA distributor has no ETA right now for more, so add that one to the list of short-term absences."

Guru

Come down to Houston. There are hundreds of bottles (if not more) of W12 all over the place. The only thing that I ever see sold out are ryes.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I cracked open my first bottle of RHF last night and I'm not sure what to think about it. It has a "pine tree" nose and the taste is cinnamon predominant. After sitting for a while it changes and gets a little sweeter on the nose and tounge. I love ETL and expected this to be a bolder version, but I don't get much similarity between the two. I've attached some pics of the bottle and cork. That stain on the mouth of the bottle was there when I opened it. Do you think I possibly got an "off" bottle, or do I need to give it few more trys before I pass judgement? Note: when I opened it some small pieces of cork fell in the bottle. I've had this happen with bottles in the past and just left them in there since it didn't bother me. Would that affect the flavor much?
    IMAG0141.jpgIMAG0142.jpgIMAG0145.jpg
    I would definately give it another try. It is very good stuff and the cork/top issue is suspect. I'd also sent the pics to the distillery via the web site and tell them your situation. Chances are you'll get a replacement .. even if you take it back to the retailer.

It's around $50 everywhere I've seen it.
    Jon

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by compliance View Post
    "In any case, now that the Weller 12 is gone for a while, I expect the Rock Hill Farms label from Buffalo Trace to vanish with it. The CA distributor has no ETA right now for more, so add that one to the list of short-term absences."
    Explain, please. What is the connection between W12 (a wheater) and the availability of RHF (a rye bourbon)?
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    I would definately give it another try. It is very good stuff and the cork/top issue is suspect. I'd also sent the pics to the distillery via the web site and tell them your situation. Chances are you'll get a replacement .. even if you take it back to the retailer.

It's around $50 everywhere I've seen it.
    They reluctantly gave me a bottle of Blanton's to replace it. And a few blocks away I picked up another bottle of RHF for $41 It's usually $54+ Let's hope this one is okay as it had obviously been sitting for a while as well.

I'll send pics of the other bottle to BT if you think it's still worth it.