Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Good Bars In The Chicago Suburbs

Do any SBers know of good bars around the Western suburbs of Chicago? I've got a dinner at Niche in Geneva in a couple days and was putzing around their website. Turns out, they've got a well-stocked (two different batches of PHC 6), if bizarre (BTEC?), bar. Are there any other true bars in this dessicated wasteland? Doesn't have to be whiskey, but I'm not interested in the ones which proudly tout their "comprehensive" menus featuring the fifteen most popular brands (or drinks).
    Last edited by Alphanumeric; 07-07-2013 at 21:38.

Connoisseur

Re: Good Bars In The Chicago Suburbs

I haven't found any whiskey places, hell I can't even find rye on back bars out there, but there is a great beer bar in Saint Charles called The House Pub.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Advanced Taster

i was surprised at how much i liked the house pub when my sister took me there before her wedding last month.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Advanced Taster

Re: Good Bars Outside Of Chicago

Check out Niche's site. They've got a dozen or so ryes. Nothing you haven't seen before, but more than you'll see anywhere in the burbs outside of a Binny's.

I'd check out The House Pub but beer holds no charm for me. Too much fizz and not enough burn.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by omgmarclol View Post
    i was surprised at how much i liked the house pub when my sister took me there before her wedding last month.
    The owner Steve used to bartend at a place on the east side, and when I'd house sit for my mom I'd see him behind the bar. Scotland yard used to be where the house is now and was always a decent towny haunt. I'll check out niche though, I always saw it more as a restaurant and never tried it as a bar.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Advanced Taster

Re: Good Bars Outside Of Chicago

Niche was pretty good. Food was excellent and the bar really is something for a place outside of the city. Ordered an Old Fashioned for dinner which was just okay. Had a pour of AER for dessert and it was monstrous. The bartender did not skimp, perhaps because I was originally brought regular AE since I had asked for the AE "rum cask" which I suppose was too confusing. Glad I had read about it and saved it for dessert. It almost tasted like a rye-finished rum.