Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $199 etl ?!?

Connoisseur

$199 etl ?!?

Stopped in a upper tier liquor store in Myrtle Beach SC and was astonished by this.
    image.jpg
    (Sorry about the side ways pic but can't figure out how to correct on iPad.)
    At first I thought bottle in wrong place but checked shelf tag and confirmed. Owner said it was very rare.

Re: $199 etl ?!?

That is crazy. I live on the east end of Long Island NY where price gouging is the norm. But was able to pick up a bottle of ETL last week for $39. Same store had Stagg jr for $100.00 had to pass on that one.

Connoisseur

Hhhmm. The one I bought last week looks just like yours - for $34 plus tax. Yeah, it could be considered rare. The store I was in had dozens of JBW but only four of these, so comparatively . . .

Advanced Taster

That's the normal ETL. It should be around $35. I believe it has a couple of big distribution shipments per year, so it should show up regularly, but people are hoarding it now, so it may sell out quickly. It is fairly priced at about $35. It doesn't seem worth paying significantly more. The commemorative bottle should be about $40, also fairly priced, based on the one I had.

I think I paid $35 plus tax for mine. Frankly, I don't really like it, but I know I'm in the minority on that.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by borderboss View Post
    I think I paid $35 plus tax for mine. Frankly, I don't really like it, but I know I'm in the minority on that.
    The ETL is decent but I don't think it is worth the hype it gets.

Taster

That store owner should be slapped to his sense's. Yes rare as in now because of short supply but that should end some time soon. Not a fan when they abuse like that.

Taster

That's all? 200?

double in NY. And this is just north of NYC. BUT, we're not done. 100 more bumps you up to ETL commemorative.

https://www.winebazaar.com/websearch...kw=Elmer+t+lee
    John

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ccleve23 View Post
    The ETL is decent but I don't think it is worth the hype it gets.
    I think it was hypeworthy if you found it on sale for 25-30 bucks. Then again I've seen ORVW 10 for $200-$300, and those used to be within a few dollars of one another. Can you believe that ORVW, PVW23, GTS, ER17, and a few others sat on the shelf for a couple weeks at Perfect Pour as recently as fall 2012 @ $10-$20 over MSRP. How quickly times have changed, even to a newbie like myself.

What really blows my mind is that people will buy a store out of ETL for $50-$60 and leave Rock Hill Farms to gather dust at basically the same price. I know they have a different flavor profile, but wow. Just wow. Makes me glad for the mid shelfers like Henry McKenna 10 that can still be found for sub $30.
    Eric

Connoisseur

The April ETL release is going to be interesting. Will the bunkers be full enough now for it not to be swarmed? Probably not. Seems there's going to be a lot of pressure on this release. I'm thinking this might be the last swarmed release, though. A lot of the hardcores already have this bunkered.

I'm thinking this wave will be snapped up by the later-to-the-party guys, and after that for future releases pretty much everyone who cares will already have a stash, and it will be back to regularly available again.

Lately I'm really getting the sense of it being the darkness before the dawn when it comes to the 7-8yr products... OWA and ETL, I'm looking at you.

Lots to drink in the meantime. I'm pretty sure with the amount of shopping I do I'll get one or two of 'em at a good price, which is more than enough to get me through until the next release.

I managed to get a few Comms, but don't particularly want to burn through those as daily drinkers.