Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Novice

Re: Michigan liquor list

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    You can also go here: http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mlcc/pricebook/webprbk.txt
    Highlight and copy, paste and save as a text file, (or just right-click and save the link as a text file) open the text file in a spreadsheet program, and sort it any way you like!
    As the developer of the site, let me give some quick background. The goal of this site was to make this operation easier and something you can do from your phone while you're in a store, or at a duty free shop. The LCC publishes a PDF pricebook that you could download and save to your phone or computer, but then you'd have to hunt down that link on their website. It's not easy, especially from an iPhone.

So Liquor List was born from a friend of mine who likes his Scotch and is always on the lookout for bottles he can't get in Michigan. This was my attempt at making it easy for him to find what should be available in the state. If you have any specific feedback, I'm always looking for ways to improve the site. Let me know if you want to get in touch.

Enthusiast

Oh, I wasn't complaining or criticizing, I just like to turn everything into a spreadsheet. I'm kinda nerdy that way.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nsain View Post
    As the developer of the site, let me give some quick background. The goal of this site was to make this operation easier and something you can do from your phone while you're in a store, or at a duty free shop. The LCC publishes a PDF pricebook that you could download and save to your phone or computer, but then you'd have to hunt down that link on their website. It's not easy, especially from an iPhone.

So Liquor List was born from a friend of mine who likes his Scotch and is always on the lookout for bottles he can't get in Michigan. This was my attempt at making it easy for him to find what should be available in the state. If you have any specific feedback, I'm always looking for ways to improve the site. Let me know if you want to get in touch.
    Very cool site! I noticed it doesn't include the items on the latest supplemental list. Is there any way to include the recent supplemental lists in the search? It may be academic anyway, since new items typically take a long time to go from the supplemental list to store shelves.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Very cool site! I noticed it doesn't include the items on the latest supplemental list. Is there any way to include the recent supplemental lists in the search? It may be academic anyway, since new items typically take a long time to go from the supplemental list to store shelves.
    Doesn't hurt to take a look and see what I can do. Do you have a link handy I could check out?

Edit: Nevermind, found the link I needed. I'll take a look at the supplementals and see if there's a way to pull these in programmatically. Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by nsain; 07-17-2013 at 11:54.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nsain View Post
    Doesn't hurt to take a look and see what I can do. Do you have a link handy I could check out?

Edit: Nevermind, found the link I needed. I'll take a look at the supplementals and see if there's a way to pull these in programmatically. Thanks for the feedback!
    You're welcome, great site!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    The question of whether a particular bottle is available in Michigan came up in chat tonight. Michigan folks, have you seen http://liquorli.st? It's cool.

As Oscar said, I find this to be the best product look up list: http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/lcc_code/sr_lcc.asp

It's the most current listing, updated and maintained by the State of MI. You can search by product name or category.

(In addition to the state minimum retail selling price, it also gives you the price paid by the retail liquor store and the price paid by bar/hotel/caterer/restaurant.)

(Although this price list site - http://liquorli.st - has some unique look up categories, I wonder how frequently the site operator updates its information from the state.)

Shell
    Last edited by Shell; 03-13-2014 at 13:03.

Novice

I use that online lookup all the time (the state liquor control commission, that is) to see which stores rape you and which ones will get my money.
    Last edited by n811; 03-13-2014 at 13:07.

Advanced Taster

My experience in Southeast MI is that most stores will sell at the state minimum price - many will even advertise it as "warehouse prices". The competition has been ferocious from Costco and Sam Club's. If store doesn't advertise state minimum price, I will ask. Often, they will pull out a copy of the state liquor list to show me that they are being honest.

I don't know what it's like at stores outside of the larger MI metropolitan areas.

Shell

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    My experience in Southeast MI is that most stores will sell at the state minimum price - many will even advertise it as "warehouse prices". The competition has been ferocious from Costco and Sam Club's. If store doesn't advertise state minimum price, I will ask. Often, they will pull out a copy of the state liquor list to show me that they are being honest.

I don't know what it's like at stores outside of the larger MI metropolitan areas.

Shell
    Good Day Shell-

I trust you are well. I am also in SE Michigan and was talking with a guy I work with about this last week. He has some friends that own some liquor stores and said that many time they will say state minimum prices and that is true for your 5ths and family size but they do not do that for the smaller sizes like pints/half pints. Not sure about this myself as I do not ever buy anything smaller then a fifth.

best regards, Tony

Advanced Taster

And some stores that I won't name will say they are selling at Sate Min prices even though they aren't, assuming you wont ask them to pull out the book. I really hate that and had it happen to me at a well known store in Canton a few weeks ago when they were charging $10 more for a bottle I wanted than another store that I went to originally. When I asked him what the price was he assured me it was State Min, I knew he was lying and told him I was taking my business elsewhere. Then he started asking which store I found the particular bottle at for cheaper, and I refused to tell him. $10 over isn't any big deal, but don't lie about it.