Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Guru

Re: Report on Some Old-School Canadian Whiskies

Wish I could say you had a winner there Joe. This is one of Barton's Canadian products, 36 months old, 80 proof, goes well with ginger ale.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by theglobalguy View Post
    Can echo the Forty Creek, wonderful dessert port taste to it. Fairly widely available as well.

Squire, are you referring to the Wiser's Legacy with the blue label? Saw it pop up in Louisville a few weeks back. First time i'd seen outside the LCBO in Canada.
    If you haven't had the Legacy, it's a must try.

Great product, and readily available in my neck of the woods.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Novice

In my neck of the woods Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve can be had for a couple of bucks more than the Barrel Select and I think it is well worth it. Lots of Rye punch and nice on the palate. Even my wife who drinks her medicine with water and ice now prefers Copper Pot over her usual brand. Give it a try. Well worth the investment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Wish I could say you had a winner there Joe. This is one of Barton's Canadian products, 36 months old, 80 proof, goes well with ginger ale.
    Oh well. Gotta look on the bright side I guess. At least the price was right. It only cost me $9.49 for a liter.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

I always look on the bright side, life's too serious to be taken seriously.

Advanced Taster

There is a lot going right these days with Canadian Whisky. If you haven't read it I'd recommend Davin De Kergommeaux's book - Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert. He is actually leading my August tasting of Canadian Whiskies - which includes Wiser's Legacy, Lot 40 Single Copper Pot Still, Alberta Premium Dark Horse, Century Reserve 21, Still Waters Stalk & Barrel, Pike Creek Double Barreled, and Forty Creek Confederation Oak. It should be a lot of fun watching people's minds get opened to the wonders of our neighbor to the North. In June we had WhistlePig 10-year and 11-year as part of our tasting of "American Micro distiller's". During the tasting the WhistlePig representative quite openly acknowledged the fact that the whisky is from Canada.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    There is a lot going right these days with Canadian Whisky. If you haven't read it I'd recommend Davin De Kergommeaux's book - Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert.
    Davin was one of the early Malt Maniacs but over the last couple of years has become a one man band singing the praises of Canadian whisky industry. He's such a cheerleader these days I wonder if he's "on the payroll" - though he denies it and it could be just a case of self-promotion to sell more books.
    Those interested may also check out his website: http://www.canadianwhisky.org/
    He's also a (very) active on twitter: @DavindeK

Advanced Taster

I haven't met him face-to-face yet but we've had good conversations by phone and email. He is enthusiastic about the Canadian Whiskies - so we'll see how a group of mostly skeptical people here in Rhode Island react to the whiskies. Because most of these the whiskies we'll be tasting next month aren't available in RI or MA, people's opinions of Canadian Whisky are mostly shaped by Black Velvet, Canadian Club and Crown Royal. Given the high scores Davin puts out there on Whisky Advocate - I too wonder if he's a bit like the proverbial Olympic "Romanian Judge" who gives out perfect marks on a regular basis. It'll be fun regardless.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Bought a CC 12 years old today and this is by far the best one I've ever had. Very good but subtle flavours, winy, a bit caramel, with a light taste (it's there) of pot still-type whisky. When this is is good it's good but each bottle is slightly different, IMO.

Also bought Dark Horse from Alberta Distillers. This was too the best I've ever had. The first one was quite chemically, which is good in a way because it shows a decent amount of pot still batch whisky is being used. The second one, a couple of years later, was very bland and spirity: I could hardly taste any pot still. This current one hits the perfect balance, the drink is soft and a little fruity (blackcurrant like the label says, perhaps from a sherry addition but that's okay), with a definite touch of the batch rye in there - this one has a Blue Cheer-like edge, somewhat like the MGPI rye has, but well-blended with the base whisky. I understand it blends high-proof grain whisky of different ages - the base - and a circa-6 year old rye pot still whiskey aged in "charred casks" per the label, but whether new or reused barrels is not said. Anyway, a whisky of very good character especially at the price. It's one of the small group of Canadian whiskies with real character. Mind you that CC 12, which normally I wouldn't bracket with a whisky which has a pronounced pot still element, was very good as well. I happened to hit a great bottling, or perhaps Canadian Club is receiving renewed attention by the tasting panels in Windsor which approve the bottlings.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 05-30-2014 at 18:09.