Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 07/2013: Highland Park

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I've found in my tastings that the 12 is nice, the 18 is really good but I prefer the 15.
    It may not be a coincidence that many here - predominantly bourbon drinkers - prefer the 15yo. Between the 12/15/18, the 15 is made up primarily from ex-bourbon casks seasoned with sherry, whereas the other two are primarily from European oak seasoned wish sherry.
    http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/video/...---15-year-old

Guru

That explains it, I definitely want to try the 15.

Enthusiast

It appears the sneaky little bastards have decided to lower the proof on us, from 43% to 40%. ABV I should say. Apparently learned from Makers Mark and don't announce the change but just do it quietly, with the eventual change over at the store. Looks like time to bunker a few bottles of HP12. Too bad because HP12's got that great rich taste neat that loses something when I add water.

Guru

They would lower it to 70 if the law allowed.

Guru

Sippin' on some HP18 tonight - you know, it's a thoroughly enjoyable dram because it's so d@mned... well... average.

I don't mean that in a negative sense but just that if you consider "beauty", the most beautiful faces are the most "average" faces - this is pretty much as well balanced as you could hope for and that's part of it's appeal to me.

I'm going to try the HP15 next.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Sippin' on some HP18 tonight - you know, it's a thoroughly enjoyable dram because it's so d@mned... well... average.

I don't mean that in a negative sense but just that if you consider "beauty", the most beautiful faces are the most "average" faces - this is pretty much as well balanced as you could hope for and that's part of it's appeal to me.

I'm going to try the HP15 next.
    This description turns me off. I'm glad I haven't gone out and spent money on a bottle. I can't afford to spend $120 on an average bottle.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    This description turns me off. I'm glad I haven't gone out and spent money on a bottle. I can't afford to spend $120 on an average bottle.
    Yeah, it's not the best description on my part...

Here's the "average" re:Beauty I'm referring to:

http://www.livescience.com/1031-beau...e-average.html

What I'm trying to say is the HP profile is so "balanced" that it creates a wonderfully complex yet beautiful expression with little/no offensive characteristics.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    $120 is on the high side; you can usually find it around these parts for just under $100...but try in a bar if you can - this is a complex dram with sherry, heathery peat, and malty notes all in balance. It is expensive (as all Scotch seems to be relative to bourbon), but this is a VERY nice dram.
    Mark

Disciple

Sorry I've been slow to contribute this month. We've been abnormally busy. Here are my main / general thoughts on HP. Quality is always quite high. I have yet to have an HP that I didn't like. A great example of how Sherry barrels can add a positive to the overall flavor profile. I have a 25 year old cask strength selection sitting next to me at the moment. What jumps out initially for me, is the sheer size of aroma. Sherry to the point of approaching burnt rubber tires, but not quite sulfur. Big round, rich elegance with a strong backbone. The prices, as of late, seem to be getting a little silly. But, they all really are going that way. I realize it is a business, and not a charity, so I don't hold any grudges. The latest release, Loki, was really quite nice. But $250 for a 15yr old in a wooden box, is just to much for me. $77 for the regular is high, but not out of line with the overall quality that they deliver consistently. All, and all, One of my favorite malts to help a novice Glenlivet 12 drinker, transition into the rest of the category.

Taster

Foreign Whisky of the Month - 07/2013: Highland Park

It has been a while since I visited my bottle of HP12. But what I remember was very pleasant. The sweetness was there with just enough peat to make things interesting. HP12 or the 15 (if I ever find some) is a Scotch that I can enjoy more often than Lagavulin 16 being that I am a Bourbon drinker first and foremost.