Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Greetings from Central VA

Hi from Central VA!

I recently found the forums and decided to try to start participating more often. I got into bourbon a few years back after making pit stops with the blended whiskies and such earlier in life. I received a whiskies of the world book last year for a gift and the bourbon section really got me going. From that point I'd mostly dabbled, tasting random top and midshelf items haphazardly, until taking a trip to Louisville a few months back for my brother's bachelor party. We did tours of Maker's, KBD, Barton and Beam, as well as a self guided trip to Woodford Reserve (still kicking myself for not making it to Buffalo Trace or 4R!). Seeing all the different makes and brands from the same distilleries really piqued my interest. In the past couple months I've made a habit of stopping in liquor stores when traveling to see what they had. I have a pretty good understanding of what I like when it comes to top shelf items, but the bargain buys and great tasting items in the $15 to $30 range has really been exciting.

Really hoping to just broaden my interests and tastes here with you guys.

Cheers!

Guru

Re: Greetings from Central VA

Welcome aboard bourbonfoot, you're in good company here.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonfoot View Post
    Hi from Central VA!
    Howdy to y'all! Good to have you aboard!
    I look forward to your posts. It sounds like your story is somewhat similar to mine. Once I started with Bourbons, I've kinda been spoiled for most other drams. These forums will indeed inform, inspire and pique ever more interest in the tastes of America's 'Native Spirit'.
    Have FUN!!! That's what it's all about.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonfoot View Post
    Hi from Central VA!

I recently found the forums and decided to try to start participating more often. I got into bourbon a few years back after making pit stops with the blended whiskies and such earlier in life. I received a whiskies of the world book last year for a gift and the bourbon section really got me going. From that point I'd mostly dabbled, tasting random top and midshelf items haphazardly, until taking a trip to Louisville a few months back for my brother's bachelor party. We did tours of Maker's, KBD, Barton and Beam, as well as a self guided trip to Woodford Reserve (still kicking myself for not making it to Buffalo Trace or 4R!). Seeing all the different makes and brands from the same distilleries really piqued my interest. In the past couple months I've made a habit of stopping in liquor stores when traveling to see what they had. I have a pretty good understanding of what I like when it comes to top shelf items, but the bargain buys and great tasting items in the $15 to $30 range has really been exciting.

Cheers!
    Welcome from a fellow whiskey enthusiast from within the central region of the Commonwealth of Virginia! Enjoy the journey.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Enthusiast

Foot
    Welcome to the forum ... enjoy. You're still only 6 hours from Frankfort ... you can still hit FR and BT!
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Guru

Welcome bourbonfoot! This is a great forum to learn and share. You mentioned being familiar with what you like in terms of top-shelf offerings. What are some of your current fav pours?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Howdy and welcome from another of the Michigan crew.

Best regards, Tony

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome bourbonfoot! This is a great forum to learn and share. You mentioned being familiar with what you like in terms of top-shelf offerings. What are some of your current fav pours?
    Hi Daryll! I should have edited my remarks to say I'm familiar with the ones I've had. I haven't had a chance to try any of the BTAC collection (saw a Handy in MD a few weeks ago but didn't pick it up). I haven't had any of the top tier Jefferson liquors. I WAS lucky enough to be in the liquor store when the put out two PVW 15 last month, which is just unheard of around here. I thought it was outstanding. I picked up a bottle of Lot B last year which I enjoyed a bunch. I've loved everything I've tasted from Four Roses, but haven't had any of the LEs yet. My brother and I stopped by Bowman's a few weeks ago and got to taste their new Millenium Bourbon, which was outstanding (though not sure $70 outstanding), as was their single barrel. I've really enjoyed the higher stuff from WT as well, the RRSBSB and WTRB. As far as ryes go I got a bottle of Whistlepig a few weeks ago I enjoyed, but I'm not sure I'd pay for it again. We received the DSP-1 Rittenhouse bottles here a few weeks ago, which I loved, though I've never had the older version (know this isn't really top shelf). I love the RR Rye as well. High West Double Rye is another that comes to mind. Anyway, I'm sure I've left out a few, but that's off the top of the head.

Guru

I would definitely recommend getting a taste of a FRSmBLE if you can. IMHO, they have been pretty awesome, although they don't give it away ($70+ typically). Ditto the BTAC. If you like Whistlepig, when you run low I'd recommend Jefferson's 10 Year Rye. I tried Whistlepig in a bar and thought it was comparable to the Jeffersons (which around Atlanta is half the price). Both are 10 yr Canadian ryes. I haven't tried the DSP-1 Ritt yet, but the older is definitely a good value rye. If you run across any Willett 4 or 5 yr ryes, I'd give them a shot too (typically are 110 proof, and while a young rye - bring a lot of flavor). As it sounds like you've discovered, there are some great values under $30. Most importantly - have fun exploring!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

welcome from the PacNW!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof