Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (ri) 1 Anyone?

Taster

(ri) 1 Anyone?

Anybody tried this pour? Tried about eight different ryes over the last several months. So far I like the younger ones, like Bulleit and Baby Saz. But looking for one that might have a bigger mouth feel with enough wood influence to add some depth and a touch of sweetness without getting in the way of the classic rye flavors.

Connoisseur

Re: (ri) 1 Anyone?

I'd grab an EH Taylor straight rye. It's pricey, but will hit all of the aforementioned characteristics, and it shouldn't be too hard to find if you dip down across the border to MA. I'm guessing it isn't in NH, but if it is then it'll be a good price, as I'm sure you're already aware.

I think (ri) 1 is pretty young, uninteresting and overpriced.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    I think (ri) 1 is pretty young, uninteresting and overpriced.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Connoisseur

Horrid nasty stuff IMHO. The only reason my bottle is gone is because my wife mixed it with coke and she can't tell the difference.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Taster

Thanks for the tip Wryguy. I do go down to MA now and then and EH Taylor may be worth the price. You are quite right that we don't have it here in NH. We've got good prices but not always the greatest selection. Rye seems to be particularly limited.

Taster

Well oke&coke: Please tell me what you really think, and don't hold back. Thanks for the candid opinion. This doesn't cost as much as Whistle Pig, but its not cheap either, so I think you helped save me some wasted bucks. I haven't read a lot of glowing reviews of this rye but your post really drives it home.

Guru

Agree with the consensus - save your dough. If you haven't tried it, I'd recommend Jeffersons 10 yr Rye (half the price of Whistlepig, and IMHO not that big of a departure).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Merrymash Monk View Post
    Well oke&coke: Please tell me what you really think, and don't hold back. Thanks for the candid opinion. This doesn't cost as much as Whistle Pig, but its not cheap either, so I think you helped save me some wasted bucks. I haven't read a lot of glowing reviews of this rye but your post really drives it home.
    I will expand on it and say find a place to taste it before you buy a whole bottle. A few guys have reported liking it so you may be one of the few. Bu don't lay down the coin for this one unless your sure about it. I tried it on several ocassions and the most favorable response I gave was sticking my tongue out, shaking my head and saying blech.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If you want a Beam rye, Knob Creek Rye is a better choice than ri1, but ri1 is okay if you like fancy bottles.

I had a pour of this in a bar after a couple of sips gave it back to the barmaid and said pour it down the drain. It was a $15 or $20 pour.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.