Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Ballantine's 17: An Inquiry

A local store just placed Ballantine's 17 Year Old on sale for $49.99, and I'm tempted to snag a bottle, if only for the novelty of buying something for half of usual retail. I do like to venture to the Dark Side now and again, and I even love me some blends now and again (e.g. Great King St.), so it wouldn't be a huge stretch. But I wondered if anyone here had a strong opinion one way or another.
    There are two ways of getting home; and one of them is to stay there. - GK Chesterton

Enthusiast

Re: Ballantine's 17: An Inquiry

No brainer

Its a blend designed to be smooth. It has low ABV. Its not going to be scary but its a very delicious dram that has a lot on the subtle side to add.

Steffen

Guru

I'll agree with Steffen, sometimes I just want something nice that I can enjoy without thinking too much about it.

Virtuoso

I recommend it, esp. at that price - normally I see it closer to $80 or more, so that is a nice price!

The newer bottling comes in a blue box, and has a "17 year old" band around the shoulder of the bottle. The prior bottling was in a red box without the shoulder label. I've had both, and enjoyed both. Well balanced with a healthy peat note - nothing like an Islay, but it is there and well balanced with the other components.

I think the one Jim Murray raved about was in the blue box, but either will not disappoint.
    Mark

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    No brainer

Its a blend designed to be smooth. It has low ABV. Its not going to be scary but its a very delicious dram that has a lot on the subtle side to add.

Steffen
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'll agree with Steffen, sometimes I just want something nice that I can enjoy without thinking too much about it.
    Agree with both.
    With blends, the older they are the closer they drink to single malts*, and 50 bucks for a good quality single malt is a good deal.
    If I could get it for $50 around here (normally sells for $90) I would buy a case.

* this is due mainly to two factors: (1) grain whisky tends to be better the older it is (not necessarily true with SM), and (2) they tend to use higher % of SM and better cask selection in older blends in order to justify the hefty premiums over the regular Ballantines (which is probably mostly 3-5yo whisky).

Guru

The Scottish Blenders are Masters of the Art.

Guru

Wow, saw this on the shelf today. List price is 129.99! IS that the bottle you are talking about?

Ballantine.JPG

If it were marked down to $50 here it would seem like a steal. Assuming it was something you wanted of course.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Wow, saw this on the shelf today. List price is 129.99! IS that the bottle you are talking about?

Ballantine.JPG

If it were marked down to $50 here it would seem like a steal. Assuming it was something you wanted of course.
    That looks like the older bottling - but $130 is at least $40 more than you should pay before discounting! I think The Party Source has it for about $83; I've seen it generally between $90 and $95...
    Mark