Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best commonly-found Bourbon for $100 per bottle

Hi everyone-
    I'm so glad I found this board. My boss asked me to purchase a nice $100 bottle of bourbon for a client, and I have no idea what to buy. I know this is a little like asking what kind of perfume to buy for a woman, but I'd appreciate your best suggestions. I live in North Carolina, and will need to go buy this tomorrow.
    I look forward to your thoughts, and appreciate your time!
    Laura

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Best commonly-found Bourbon for $100 per bottle

Welcome Laura!
    I would suggest 20 year Pappy Van Winkle . It is in the 75-85 dollar range. I think that being in North Carolina will present a challenge. Clogsdon , One of forum regulars lives there and frequently is known to head to WV and Ky. For a purchase now and then. You don't nessesarily have to spend 100 bucks to get a good one. If all else fails, Blanton's or Kentucky Spirit are quality bourbon gifts in the 40-50 range. Good luck, I imagine folks will be lining up all over to become clients now that we see a $100.00 Bourbon is Possible!

Guru

Before even reading Bobby's response I was going to say Pappy Van Winkle 20 year as well. This would be even harder to probably find, but if you should see a bottle of AH Hirsch 16 year and not a Pappy 20, it would also do well. It is a bit cheaper, depending where you may find it, and it also is a superb bourbon.

If all else fails and you cannot find either, try getting 2 near $50 bottles. You should be able to find Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel. For a 2nd you could try Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year 107 proof or Blanton's Single Barrel.

Enthusiast

Re: Best commonly-found Bourbon for $100 per bottl

Hey Laura, without knowing your boss's reasons for giving bourbon, I'm just guessing it's to IMPRESS the client, whether they're a bourbon drinker or not (thus the $100 cost). Part of the nice thing about gift giving (and receiving) is the packaging. So I'd like to offer the Blanton's as a good idea: It comes in a box, plus has a very distinctive bottle shape and cork (with racehorse). It also has some nice history as the first Single Barrel bottling of bourbon since prohibition. Possibly a marketing gimmick, but true nonetheless. If you have trouble finding what you want, there are mailorder facilities that will ship via fedex. www.samswine.com and www.binnys.com are just a two (sorry, I'm not familiar with your state laws regarding liquor shipping. Have fun shopping!

Dave

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Laura,
    The only really good $100/bottle bourbon is Ten High and its only available from me. Including shipping that would be $120.

Just kidding.

I would suggest the Hirsch 16 YO, if any is still available from Binny's or Sams Internet Wines.

For only $80 more you can get the Hirsch 20 YO or the Pappy Van Winkle 23 YO. Try Cork and Bottle in Northern KY.

Virtuoso

The nice thing about bourbon is that you can spend $40 - 50 and get a world-class bourbon. Fortunately, bourbon hasn't been subjected to the scotch pricing.

I live in Cary, NC. Where are you? (It's ok if you don't want to answer that.)

The NC ABC Catalog has several premium bourbons available in the $30 - $50 range, but alas, we don't have the selection that is available in many other states. Also, NC does not allow out-of-state stores to ship liquor into NC, so the suggestions for Sam's or Binny's in Chicago won't help you. Plus, you need it tomorrow.

Can you answer a couple questions for us?

(1) Is convenience a factor? That is, do you just want to stick to the best that NC has to offer? If so, I would suggest

* Blanton's for superb smoothness and a unique decanter ($46)
    * Bookers for full flavored barrel strength at 127 proof and comes in a rustic wooden box ($54)
    * Eagle Rare Single Barrel for something that is not common but is very good and has a unique bottle ($27). I will admit that I have not seen the Eagle Rare Single Barrel in a NC store, but it is listed in the catalog. I do hope they have added it and are now stocking it. I spent much of my summer in KY and brought back so much that I have not been in a NC store since June. BTW, I am not talking about the Eagle Rare 101, which is good, but is probably not the gift you are looking for.
    * Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (about $50) for a world class bourbon in a unique decorative decanter. Unfortunately, Kentucky Spirit is not in the lastest NC ABC catalog. It used to be carried, so I am wondering if there is any leftover stock. If you find one with the pewter stopper, it is a special find. Wild Turkey has switched to wood stoppers.

(2) Is the best of the best the primary consideration, even if you have to go out of state? If you are in Charlotte, a short trip to Greenville, SC might be very good. Julian Van Winkle has mentioned here at SB.com that a store there carries his products. Perhaps they have the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old in stock.

Send me a private message if you want to talk. I can give you my phone number seeing that you are in a hurry to get this done.

Virtuoso

[Laura, you can't read this. ]

Oh, the temptation to sell one of my bottles of GTS!

Disciple

If you find one with the pewter stopper, it is a special find. Wild Turkey has switched to wood stoppers.

Really? Cause the stopper on my KS definitely isnt Wood. . .

TomC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

That's what Bobby said here. Maybe they are only a rarity in KY. Could be that other states that sell less KS may still have the pewter stoppers.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

They have used wood for almost 2 years now, The pewter are still around if you don't mind looking for it. I guess a fifty dollar bottle of bourbon moves pretty slow.