Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Best commonly-found Bourbon for $100 per bottl

Well that doesnt change stuff anyway, cause i got my bottle of KY Spirit in Sheperdsville, KY back in March, so It still kinda kewl!

TomC

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
    I really appreciate the info, and I'll definately take the info with me when I shop in the morning.
    Also, I may call you, C., to find out about Cary locations for good bourbon.
    Thanks again, everyone!
    Laura

Virtuoso

If I get the chance, I will run by the Preston ABC store in Cary on the way home today. It's only a mile or two out of the way for me. I will see what they have in stock.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Best commonly-found Bourbon for $100 per bottle

The first thing you should do is go back and make sure he really meant bourbon. If he did, then he obviously doesn't know much about the subject, since it's virtually impossible to spend more than $50 for a bottle of bourbon. The exception is Jim Beam's Distiller's Masterpiece, which is closer to $200 a bottle.

Probably the best, most readily available bourbons for giving are Blanton's and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Happily, you can buy one of each and still get change back. If I had to pick between the two, I would pick Blanton's. The package is more distinctive and I actually like the whiskey better too.

I would not recommend something like George Stagg or Eagle Rare because those whiskeys are a bit challenging. With Blanton's and Kentucky Spirit, the quality is impeccible and the taste is accessible. Anyone who likes American Straight Whiskey probably will like them. With Stagg, Eagle Rare and the like, you really have to be into it. When buying business gifts you need to play it safe, and both Blanton's and Kentucky Spirit are very safe choices.

Virtuoso

Good input, Chuck.

Guru

Probably the best, most readily available bourbons for giving are Blanton's and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
    Did you read my post first Chuck? J/K

Virtuoso

I stopped by the ABC store near Preston in Cary. Boy, were the pickings slim.

No WT Kentucky Spirit. No empty shelf space, so this one is definitely gone.

No Blanton's. Empty shelf shelf space where it is supposed to be, so this one was sold out in the Preston store. (Both employees were busy on the phone, so I didn't wait to ask if they had any more.)

Eagle Rare Single Barrel - in stock, several bottles.

Booker's - in stock, several bottles.

If I were you, I'd call the Walnut Street store in Cary or the Cary Parkway/Tryon Road store in Cary to see if they have Blanton's in stock. (I'm not familiar with Raleigh locations.) I think Blanton's is your best bet. While you are calling, you might as well ask if they have any leftover Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

If you get in a real jam and run completely out of time, the Eagle Rare Single Barrel at the Preston store will do nicely.

Booker's may have some risk as it has a very strong flavor (127 proof!). Like Chuck Cowdery said, unless you know the recipient loves barrel proof bourbon, I'd stay away from this one.

Virtuoso

Chuck, it's been a while since I had ER SB. I don't recall it being less approachable than Kentucky Spirit, particularly, at only 90 proof.

Is my memory bad or do we just have different taste buds?

Administrator in exile

Thankfully there are not that many $100 bottles of bourbon out there. You can do very nicely for around $40-$50 with Kentucky Spirit or Blanton's. Jefferson's Reserve is sure to impress the eye with its "perfume-style" bottle. If you are hell-bent on spending as much as possible and can find it, go for the Pappy Van Winkle 20yo. One of the best whiskeys ever put into a bottle and only $80 or so, at least here in KY.

I'm checking in a little late, but for whatever it's worth, I'd go for either the 20-year Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve or the 16-year-old Hirsch, if available -- a problem, besides current availability, being that if the recipient really likes either, it'll be hard to find again. I might also try to find the current double-issued spring/fall versions of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbons, both of which you could probably get for about $100 total. But, in any case, any suggestion that's been made here is a good one.