Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Hi from Zurich, Switzerland

Hi guys

I've been guest-reading this forum for the last couple of weeks and had a hard time waiting for my ISP-email-account to be set up. I got my account info yesterday and now I'm finally able to fully participate

Around a year ago I started developing serious interest towards cocktail mixing / bartending. I didn't take too long for me to get sucked into the bourbon world (which happened a couple of months ago). I've got love for all whiskey/whisky, but for the time being american whiskey is my passion.

My favourites so far are: Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof, Noahs Mill, Bookers, Blanton's Gold Edition Single Barrel, Knob Creek, Eagle Rare 10yo, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Elijah Craig 12yo, Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace (the ladder to are the cheapest around may way, unfortunately we only get the 80 proof BT here...).

I like my bourbons straight. If I happen to drink em on the rocks, it's gonna be in form of an Old Fashioned. Noahs Mill and Bookers make for a heavenly Old Fashioned let me tell ya. BT fits greatly in a Mint Julep imo.

I'm looking forward to learn more about my favourite drink on this forum and also expect to get jealous from time to time when I realize how cheaper this stuff is on your side of the pond...

Uhhmmmm... yeah, I already have my first SB-blend marrying in my treasure chamber (60/40 OWA107/OW12). Looking forward to that.

Cheers
    Last edited by ewj; 07-16-2013 at 05:07.

Guru

Re: Hi from Zurich, Switzerland

Welcome to SB! Glad to hear you've got a fairly decent selection over there! I didn't know if brands like Noah's Mill were exported or not. Also sounds like you've got a diverse palate - some wheaters and some rye-mashbill bourbons! Do you get much straight rye whiskey? Look forward to your posts!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Thanks Daryll! It's possible to find almost everything if you know where to look (and if you're willing to pay the price...)

There are quite a few ryes available: High West Rendezvous/Double Rye, Old Overholt Rye, Riverboat SB unfiltered, Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof, Templeton Rye, Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye, Wild Turkey Rye, Willett Family Estate Rye, Willett Family Reserve Rye 25yo, Jim Beam Rye.

I much prefer the higher proofs. What I've had and liked so far: High West Double Rye, Willet Family Estate (4yo if I recall correctly) and Van Winkle Family Reserve (). I didn't like the JB and the Rittenhouse 80proof too much. I would never buy the Rittenhouse 80proof as long as I can get a Willett 4yo for 1.5x the price. Looking forward to trying the 100ish proof though!

Enthusiast

Welcome to the site! I agree that the Beam rye is a major let-down.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Welcome! I love how global this community is. You're off to a great start. Cheers!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Glad to hear they have a healthy rye selection too! I've never had Ritt at anything but the 100 proof (which I do like), but the only 80 proof ryes I've tried (Wild Turkey @81, Old Overholt) weren't in my wheelhouse either. I love that 4 yr Willett at 110 proof - great stuff! If you ever get a chance to land some Thomas H Handy . . . at least for me that was a complete "rock my world" moment. Before that, I wasn't sure if I liked rye whiskey. That confirmed I love it
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board. I look forward to your posts. Have FUN!!! That's what it's all about.

Virtuoso

Hello and welcome. Love that Blanton's that we cannot get here.

Best regards, Tony

Enthusiast

ewj ... based on the bourbons you have access to ... Welcome from the third world State of West Virginia.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    ewj ... based on the bourbons you have access to ... Welcome from the third world State of West Virginia.
    hahahahahahaaaaaa, thx blly! :P be aware of the price difference though