Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Greetings from NE ATL, Buford that is

Hello all, its great to finally be here after reading only over the last couple of years. My emails were of the type that deny registration so I had to set some things up but finally made it. I have been enjoying TN whiskey/whisky and Bourbon for many years but only since moving to GA have I started touring through the vast sea of brands and flavors available to us. That would put this leg of the journey at a little over 6 yrs.

I started as many do with Jack and Early Times, first with Coke then advancing to Jack neat. A dear friend married a girl from the UK whose father was an avid scotch fan. My friend would receive steady shipments of single malts to try and he was kind enough to invite me to participate. We made our way trough a good number, jotting down notes, categorizing the ones we liked/loved or didn't have a strong feeling either way about. We attempted to be very organized and serious about our evaluations, in reality it was really just a hell of a lot of fun with tasty beverages and stellar company.That fun ground to a halt upon his divorce, we then started trolling the Trader Joes aisles for affordable facsimiles of our favorites (most of which I no longer remember)

I drifted back to Jack, only now the single barrel was available and that became my regular pour. A trip to Nashville exposed me to a large ad painted on the side of a building for George Dickle 12. Intrigued about the existence of another TN whisky I inquired within but no one could tell me anything about it. I tracked some down at a local package store and that is the moment that this journey truly began. I instantly became and remain a big George Dickle fan.

I went through a number of Dickle 12 bottles over the years and then began switching off between that and Woodford Reserve, I had no idea how many choices were available to me.

My first visit to a package store in GA had me standing at the "bourbon wall" for a good 45 min., I definitely needed some help to sort THAT out and reading the great posts here at SB has been instrumental and I thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. I have since discovered that in addition to Dickle 12 and Woodford I am a fan of WT RB, Weller12, BT, Bookers, Knob Creek, I am VERY sensitive ( not in a good way) to the "Beam funk" so the Bookers and KC not withstanding I approach Beam products with extreme caution, and the White label never again.

The current must haves are EC12 which my wife and I both enjoyed on the Bourbon trail we toured over the 4th and Four Roses. My deepening affection for Four Roses began on my birthday two years ago, after that first sip of Dickle 12 the FR Smb was the second and most profound moment of my bourbon experience, suffice it to say I love me some Four Roses (picked up a SB barrel proof at the gift shop on our trip, OBSO, damn good).

Thats where I stand so far and I look forward to continuing to learn about experience the output of Americas great distillers.

I only wish my first post here on SB didn't appear on the day of Elmer T lees passing. There is a bottle of his waiting to be opened and I will now not only enjoy my first taste of his bourbon but will toast his memory as well. We just toured Buffalo Trace and I had hoped to return on a Tue and perhaps even get to meet the legend himself. R.I.P Mr Lee.

Disciple

Re: Greetings from NE ATL, Buford that is

Welcome from another GA SB member. Love the GD12 and I know you'll love the ETL

Guru

Welcome from Marietta! ETL is some damn fine whiskey, as are the others you mention. The OBSO is my favorite (so far!) of the FRSB offerings, although I haven't tried every mashbill/yeast strain (yet - gotta have goals!) Glad to have more GA representation on the board!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Welcome Kcgumbo from a fellow Georgian and Dickel fan.

I know you'll enjoy your time here, and you'll run into quite a few Georgia folks on SB.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! I believe we share those goals of eventually tasting all the FR recipes. There seems to be a decent number of GA members here, glad to finally be official. I am still relatively new to these parts so Buford qualifying as NE ATL is a throwback to my L.A. roots. Born and raised in New England left at 21 and spent the next 20 yrs in L.A. where 20-30 mi from downtown was still considered L.A. territory as it was still L.A. county.

From many post I have read there seem to be occasional gatherings amongst members that live reasonably close to one another, does the GA branch of SB ever get together? I see periodic advertisments for various whiskey dinners where a distillery rep shows up with some products for tasting and such but I haven't heard of any particular location where members frequent or have the occasional get togetherd
    Last edited by kcgumbohead; 07-18-2013 at 05:39. Reason: clarification

Guru

Welcome aboard kc, look forward to your contributions and yes, I expect you'll find some kindred spirits among that Georgia bunch.

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard! Have fun with it. That's what it's all about.
    I look forward to your posts.

Disciple

Welcome, and my compliments on an outstanding introdcution post.

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard! It's always good to get more Georgia folks on SB.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Welcome! I also toasted with some ETL last night... very sad news.