Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

AAA 10-year strange taste?

I finally cracked open the AAA 10-year last night and I'm trying to decipher if I just got a bad bottle or if it's just not to my liking. I know it's high-rye but I love things like OGD and FR1B OBSV, so I don't think it's the amount of rye. It had a really strange aftertaste, unlike any bourbon I've ever had before (I've never had Blanton's which I know is similar). It almost tasted like something had gone wrong. But before I jump to that conclusion I wanted to ask you guys if AAA has a profile that's pretty different from other bourbons?

Tonight I'm going to open up a new bottle of AAA 10-star just to see if I detect a similar taste.

Connoisseur

Re: AAA 10-year strange taste?

Sometimes there's a off-taste on a freshly opened bottle. Give it some time and few more pours, it'll prolly fade.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've bought a number of bottles in the last year and don't find this. It has a rich, heavy flavour, in which the grains show their stuff despite the 10 years - at least the ones I've had.

Gary

Disciple

Just opened a new bottle and it is yum,yum

Virtuoso

I'll echo MauiSon here and suggest giving it more time/air. Gary is right; a bourbon with a full mid-palate w/ oak well in balance for a 10yr. While it isn't particularly complex I think it more than makes that up in pure density/weight. I really hope this one doesn't go away ...
    Mark

Guru

i love OGD 114, but if i open a brand new bottle and take a pour right away, i dont care for it. give it some time.

when i buy a new 114, i take the cork out and leave it out for a day before partaking.

Enthusiast

Do you generally like Buffalo Trace products?

I find there to be a distinct "burnt grass" thing going on in many of their products which generally hits in the later part of tasting. It must be a naturally occurring "thing" because oftentimes when walking around I will smell a similar 'musty wood' aroma. To me I get this particularly in the the high-rye BT stuff.

Enthusiast

I'm also not a fan of the characteristic BT off-taste, and I'm sad to hear it's even more pronounced in their high rye mashbill.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    I find there to be a distinct "burnt grass" thing going on in many of their products which generally hits in the later part of tasting.
    Burnt grass, pine, sapy oak, lysol, musty dirt.... I get it on almost all of the BT products. Shame really, they make some well liked products, but I just can't do it anymore.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

Since I'm the bourbon tree guy, I'm going to get pedantic. The AA mashbill is higher rye than the other one, but neither are high rye compared to any bourbon made at any other distillery. I would call them both high corn recipe bourbons. As others have said, a lot of people get grassy or earthy notes out of BT products. Some are more sensitive to it than others. It never bothered me, really, but it seems to be bothering you!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog