Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: AAA 10-year strange taste?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Since I'm the bourbon tree guy, I'm going to get pedantic. The AA mashbill is higher rye than the other one, but neither are high rye compared to any bourbon made at any other distillery. I would call them both high corn recipe bourbons. As others have said, a lot of people get grassy or earthy notes out of BT products. Some are more sensitive to it than others. It never bothered me, really, but it seems to be bothering you!
    I just had BT (#1 mashbill) and ETL (#2)side by side last night. I get the corny grassy flavors in BT but not in the ETL. And thanks again for the Tree. One of the best resources out there.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    I just had BT (#1 mashbill) and ETL (#2)side by side last night. I get the corny grassy flavors in BT but not in the ETL. And thanks again for the Tree. One of the best resources out there.
    I have noticed the same thing with BT/ER/OC having a more corny grassy flavor than AA/Blanton's. Looking at the Tree, I know that the BT/ER/OC group has more corn but I am not sure how much more. I was always under the impression that OC was one of the higher corn bourbons. While I find the mashbill #1 bourbons to have a decent taste, I prefer mashbill #2 bourbons.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    I have noticed the same thing with BT/ER/OC having a more corny grassy flavor than AA/Blanton's. While I find the mashbill #1 bourbons to have a decent taste, I prefer mashbill #2 bourbons.
    Agree w the large exception of GTS.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

Sounds like you are getting the (in)famous BT "mustiness." I have gotten that flavor profile before in AAA 10yr, but honestly, I love it. Different strokes.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by suntour View Post
    Do you generally like Buffalo Trace products?
    For the most part, yes. I'm a big fan of EHT, ER, OWA, W12 and also enjoy BT. WSR and OC10 are not bad either. The only BT pour that I haven't liked was ETL, but I never noticed any kind of strange taste like I do with the AAA10yr.

I find there to be a distinct "burnt grass" thing going on in many of their products which generally hits in the later part of tasting. It must be a naturally occurring "thing" because oftentimes when walking around I will smell a similar 'musty wood' aroma. To me I get this particularly in the the high-rye BT stuff.
    Burnt grass is a perfect way of putting it. That's exactly what I'm tasting. I'm going to leave it open for a few days and revisit it later in the week.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    You're welcome, I'm glad you find it useful! It's a labor of love or OCD or something.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Since I'm the bourbon tree guy, I'm going to get pedantic.
    OK, you made me look up pedantic ... damn, I may qualify as a pendant! BTW, to stay on-topic ... I've never had a AAA 10YR with an off taste.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Disciple

All I can find in my area is AAA10Star. Does if taste drastically different than the AAA10yr? I really enjoy the 10Star,

Enthusiast

Since I'm the bourbon tree guy, I'm going to get pedantic. The AA mashbill is higher rye than the other one, but neither are high rye compared to any bourbon made at any other distillery. I would call them both high corn recipe bourbons. As others have said, a lot of people get grassy or earthy notes out of BT products. Some are more sensitive to it than others. It never bothered me, really, but it seems to be bothering you!
    Very true, but I don't get any of the flavor in question from Mellow Corn BIB, so I don't think it can be attributed to the corn content of BT products.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    All I can find in my area is AAA10Star. Does if taste drastically different than the AAA10yr? I really enjoy the 10Star,
    ten star is ten shades better. The rye is really bold in it, the ten year has gotten tired tasting. Bourbon can be aged to long.