Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: AAA 10-year strange taste?

Quote Originally Posted by bllygthrd View Post
    OK, you made me look up pedantic ... damn, I may qualify as a pendant! BTW, to stay on-topic ... I've never had a AAA 10YR with an off taste.
    Ha! It's a great word. And also describes me to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    Very true, but I don't get any of the flavor in question from Mellow Corn BIB, so I don't think it can be attributed to the corn content of BT products.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to link the corn and the grassiness. I think it's attributable to the environment in which BT products are aged.

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    ten star is ten shades better. The rye is really bold in it, the ten year has gotten tired tasting. Bourbon can be aged to long.
    I agree with the second part but I can't say I agree the ten star is better. YMMV
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

I've also noticed a 'musty' trait in some BT products but not in every brand or every bottle for that matter, just occasionally. Try decanting it into another bottle, just the pouring will air it out some.

Virtuoso

I've noticed it but don't mind it. I find some similarity with the finish in VOB BiB.
    Mark

Disciple

I would the describe the "off" note as citric sweet oak very reminiscent of freshly cut or split oak,which is entirely different from the grassy notes that are so commonly found in other BT products.I am actually quite a fan of the 10yr. and found it quite a bit superior and different than the 10 Star which left me flat,just my two cents.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

It really does come down to taste and there's certainly nothing wrong with liking young whisky.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    ten star is ten shades better. The rye is really bold in it, the ten year has gotten tired tasting. Bourbon can be aged to long.
    Hear, hear! To my palate, AAA 10 year has the finish of dirt. That being said, opening it up and exposing it to some new air really helps alleviate that problem. IMO it's got an over-aged taste which I don't personally equate with BT (but do equate with other old high-rye bourbons like Elijah Craig 18).

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by WAINWRIGHT View Post
    I would the describe the "off" note as citric sweet oak very reminiscent of freshly cut or split oak,which is entirely different from the grassy notes that are so commonly found in other BT products.I am actually quite a fan of the 10yr. and found it quite a bit superior and different than the 10 Star which left me flat,just my two cents.
    Man you must be drinking with my nose and mouth Ryan because that's a great description of its tastes to me. And that citric sweet oak has distinct hints of lemon which is the only bourbon I get that from. Without a doubt my favorite under 90 proofer.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Interesting how the taste is described in different ways. In chemical-distilling terms, I'd put it that this bourbon is, even at the age of 10 years, more congeneric than its stablemates (Eagle Rare 10 years old or even younger bourbons such as Blanton). It's not a mash bill thing but how it ages, and I'd guess the Triple A is from a lower portion of the warehouse and given a long less cyclic ride. The result is a rich "cured" bourbon taste, like a fine Southern ham which is subject to a traditional cure. It's a more forward and less refined taste than the bourbons which go for money but arguably is the more traditional taste.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 07-19-2013 at 03:59.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    The result is a rich "cured" bourbon taste, like a fine Southern ham which is subject to a traditional cure. It's a more forward and less refined taste than the bourbons which go for money but arguably is the more traditional taste.

Gary
    Southern ham? What does SmokinJoe have to do with this?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

That is high praise from a fellow reared on Canadian bacon.