Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Hello from another Hoosier

Greetings everyone!

I've been reading the amazing content y'all post on this site for some time now and I've really found out how much I don't know about this great American beverage. What a great thing!

Bourbon has been my staple drink for a couple years now but 3 months of reading has shown that I really have no idea what I've been putting down my gullet. Apparently you don't have to break the bank buying bottle after bottle of the same top shelf bourbon when there are so many wonderful, affordable and diverse pours to be had. I'm looking to really hone my palette, increase my knowledge about the industry and have some good times along the way.

I'm a current Indianapolis resident recovering from my last 6 years in Chicago. Much love for the Midwest.

Disciple

Re: Hello from another Hoosier

Welcome. The biggest mistake new bourbon fans make is climbing the shelf too high, too fast. Learn what you like, and why you like it, and don't let any person or price tag do that for you. When you develop that sense, then you might try a higher priced item that fits a profile you are likely to enjoy.

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Virtuoso

Welcome fellow Hoosier. Enjoy the info. Enjoy the good natured exchanges and soak in the combined wisdom of some serious bourbon aficionados ( not including myself in that description).
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Connoisseur

Hello from another Hoosier

Cheers fellow Hoosier. Enjoy yourself here. You will find good times, good people and good bourbon.

Disciple

Welcome from NWGA, never been to IN but if you love bourbon you're a brother

Guru

Welcome to SB Armand! There is an amazing selection/variety of bourbon for sure. My advise is to buy what you can in 50 ml, then in 200 ml, to find what you like. There are some great bourbons bottled in those sizes that won't break the bank, or won't leave you with a ton of 750mL sized bottles (especially when you stumble on a couple that you only like a little, or not at all). Some of my favorite pours are under $50 (some under $25!), and more expensive doesn't always mean better. Some of my most expensive buys I was not thrilled with. Look forward to your posts!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board! Great to be OUT of Chicago, I'd guess. But that's only my opinion of big cities. Not that Indy is small, but homey-er than Chi-Town I'm sure. My Bro lived in Indy about a hundred years ago.
    Have fun with all of the 'stuff' to be found here ....and; I look forward to your 'stuff' being found around the board. ENJOY!!!

Advanced Taster

Welcome aboard Armand! Looking forward to your future posts! There's a good amount of fellow Hoosiers here on the board.

Connoisseur

Welcome Armand, there are a good number of other Hoosiers on this site. Tell us what you like, and don't hesitate to post questions.