Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Bourbons by the barrel

There's more choice now than ever before, we do live in exciting times.

Bourbons by the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by gooneygoogoo View Post
    Interesting that Willet offers some of the most unique private barrel selections as they are not yet offering anything that they have distilled (I know they have recently started distilling). Four Roses is definitely on the short list since I'm sure their options are the most diverse. Thanks
    If it has the family reserve crest, it is good bourbon from a quality mystery source.

And willett is running 9 months turnaround time. The samples will take quite a while too.

I would find a liquor store first and negotiate with them. The three tier system prevents distilleries from selling direct in most states.

Virtuoso

Bourbons by the barrel

This is the kind of info I was hoping to find...I would never have even thought of OWA as a private barrel selection, thanks for the idea. Thinking about it...Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, and Eagle Rare would be interesting. Just not sure if Buffalo Trace would offer a private selection of these. Of course I would LOVE it if we could select a barrel from Wild Turkey but I have heard they don't have a barrel program.
    BT would love to sell you an ER10 barrel.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    BT would love to sell you an ER10 barrel.
    This may be an incredibly stupid question and the answer may not be clear but let's say we decided to select a barrel of ER. I assume they would not allow us to select from the ER17 barrels. But would we be strictly limited to the ER10 barrels? Is there any possibility of selecting a barrel that is on it's way to becoming ER17. Maybe it has aged for 12, 13 or somewhere in between. This may be a question for the folks at BT but maybe someone on here can shed some light...probably dreaming

Virtuoso

Bourbons by the barrel

This may be an incredibly stupid question and the answer may not be clear but let's say we decided to select a barrel of ER. I assume they would not allow us to select from the ER17 barrels. But would we be strictly limited to the ER10 barrels? Is there any possibility of selecting a barrel that is on it's way to becoming ER17. Maybe it has aged for 12, 13 or somewhere in between. This may be a question for the folks at BT but maybe someone on here can shed some light...probably dreaming
    Anything is possible. After all, one barrel purchase netted us a 15 year old EC12. It's all about who you know. Or who you get to know
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

The whisky river is flowing, all we need is access.

Connoisseur

As I understand the situation from simply reading the posts, you can submit criteria to the distillery as to what sorts of barrels you wish to select from. For instance, 'older barrels that haven't been previously offered as barrel selections' could be included in your selection criteria. Whether or not your selection critieria are agreeable to the distillery depends on your powers of persuasion, I'd imagine.