Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: At Buffalo Trace today

With demand so geat wish Saz would buy LDI.
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."

At Buffalo Trace today

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Distilleries normally shut down during the summer months because the heat has an ill effect on the yeast. Do some research on this. but it's longer than two weeks. It's not a government mandate it just good old fashion distilling practicing.
    This is normally the case but demand is high. I am sure there is some consideration for the increase in temperatures. It's not like 95 degrees and high humidity doesn't happen in April and late September in KY on occasion.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Distilleries normally shut down during the summer months because the heat has an ill effect on the yeast. Do some research on this. but it's longer than two weeks. It's not a government mandate it just good old fashion distilling practicing.
    A couple cooling coils in the mash tank would take care of this issue. Pretty common in the chemical industry.
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Guru

Years ago distillerys shut down during the Summer because of the effect of heat on the yeast but technology has advanced so the only reason for a shut down now is maintenance. Of course it was also an excuse to go silent for awhile to keep operating costs down when demand wasn't so high.

In the really olden days the distillery workers needed the time off to tend their crops.

Virtuoso

Adding to that, can imagine the heat knocks productivity down quite a bit. May as well align the heat with maintenance break and shift the workers to bottling/gift shop.

Guru

I think the practice was unique to distilleries, the hotter stave factory kept going.

Virtuoso

Yikes. Understanding OSHA didn't exist back in the day....even automotive foundries traditionally take the July or Aug shutdowns. Guess it's whatever the body gets used to.

Connoisseur

In the summer of '64 I made catsup for Hunts. Those steam-jacketed kettles were really hot. You make catsup when the tomatoes are ripe not when it is convenient for your comfort. Gotta believe that distilleries have good reasons for their schedules. Auto factories shut down to retool for the next model year. I don't think it has anything to do with the comfort of the employees. Besides, the newer plants I have been in (Ford, Chrysler, and GM) are comfortable year round.
    Last edited by Flyfish; 07-25-2013 at 11:19.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

I don't think it has anything to do with the comfort of the employees. Besides, the newer plants I have been in (Ford, Chrysler, and GM) are comfortable year round.[/QUOTE] Having been in manufacturing for 43 years with both public and private companies I can assure you shuting down an operation for any amount of time has absolutely nothing to do with the comfort of employees!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Like a lot of factories, BT may require some of its employees to take their vacations, or at least two weeks worth if they have more, during shut down. This avoids a lot of logistical headaches. They also need it for maintenance.