Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Four Roses OESO vs OBSV?

I've been enjoying the regular Single Barrel (OBSV). Since I know we have some FR fans around here, how does the OESO compare? I realize the special selections are higher proof, the mash has more corn, and the yeast is different. Is there anything you can compare it to?

Virtuoso

Re: Four Roses OESO vs OBSV?

Haven't tried the O yeast. I have been eyeballing some O private selections at a local retailer where i suspect you got yours. Let me know what you think.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

whichever is over 110 proof.....

Disciple

Four Roses OESO vs OBSV?

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    whichever is over 110 proof.....
    I have no idea what you're getting at here...you select bottles to drink based on abv?
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

I prefer high-rye mashbills, and did a blind tasting of 3 FRSB (OBSO, OBSK, OBSV) all diluted to 100 proof (excluding the OBSV which was the 100 proof retail variety). I did notice a difference in the yeast. The "O" yeast was my favorite, as it definitely had more fruit notes, maintained the spice I love about rye, but did have as much pepper as "K". I thought "V" was also nice, but just a bit more subdued. Now these differences were nuanced - I imagine that most days of the week I might not detect some of the differences. But IMHO, the only way to find out is to taste for yourself.

To your original question - I've never owned an OE FRSB, but I would imagine that with less rye the results would be sweeter. I sorta wonder if I might prefer the K yeast on an OE just to off-set that sweetness, or if I'd still go for the O. I have it on my bucket list to own at some some portion of each of the 10 (but without spending $500 to do it!) If I could get 4 friends interested in the quest, I guess it would be about $110 a piece to own a 150 mL of each of the 10 recipes. Seems like a good deal to me (not that the recipe is everything obviously, you've got age to consider, bottling proof, etc - but I think it would be a telling experiment!)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    I have no idea what you're getting at here...you select bottles to drink based on abv?

its pretty much come down to that for me, so yeah. ive found nothing below 100 proof i will care to buy again, and little in the 100 proof range either.

with regards to 4R though, its my own experience. i tried a 58% ( IIRC ) at a bar in Cincy and liked it, yet any other 50% 4R stuff i have tried since, i just plain did not like. so, with 4R, i wont be buying it again unless i see it over 55% again like the first one.

Guru

There's something to be said for singularity in taste.

Guru

You should just make a few trips down to Lburg, foureyed.

Virtuoso

Four Roses OESO vs OBSV?

I think the descriptions that 4R uses to differentiate between their recipes are pretty much spot on, but they far from tell the whole story. Each barrel is different, often drastically so. I used to think I preferred B recipes to E recipes, but as I've tasted more and more 1Bs, I've learned that I would be foolish to stick with that dogma. I might prefer an OESO with an emphasized flavor profile to an OBSV whose taste characteristics are faded or muted.

If you're talking novelty, generic barrel picks, I'd tend to rely on that stated preference, but if you're talking about a more personal, discerning barrel selection, I'd take it no matter the recipe. Just like any 1B selection, it all depends on the palate of the selector and what they were going for with the pick. Did they pick their favorite, or did they go for a barrel just to fill retail space? Did they even pick it at all, or did they buy something the distributor bought without tasting?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Great point, Aaron. If I were ever to get a chance to select a private barrel, I'd want to do it blindly (not knowing the recipe or age) and just pick what tastes the best.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins