Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Four Roses Fantasy

Maybe I can add an interesting morsel here from the man himself. Over at reddit.com/r/bourbon, we sent a Q&A to him earlier this year (I think?) and one of the questions was "Why not rye whiskey?" Here is the answer:

We could add 16% rye grain to our OB mashbill - and reduce the corn by that percentage - and have a straight rye whiskey. As an interesting option we could also use our “K” yeast, which generates spicy flavors. Another option might be a 90% +/- rye mashbill using “O” yeast which generates a rich and full-bodied fruity flavor, or.... Hopefully, we can begin distilling a straight rye before I retire, but even if this were to come to fruition the first barrel may not be dumped for bottling while I’m still master distiller. I believe rye takes longer to fully mature relative to Bourbon. So, if we started production of a straight rye in 2013 you would not see it in a bottle until 2020 or later. We won’t take any short cuts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Maybe I can add an interesting morsel here from the man himself. Over at reddit.com/r/bourbon, we sent a Q&A to him earlier this year (I think?) and one of the questions was "Why not rye whiskey?" Here is the answer:
    A rye with the K yeast would be a spicy explosion, that would be awesome. I'd love to see 4R expand their operations, they're by far my favorite of the distillers.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    We asked this question during our barrel selection. As the story goes, the answer given from japanese ownership was "our mission statement says we make bourbon whiskey, not rye whiskey"
    May have to do with taste of customers in Japan, or strict ownership style (i.e. don't wander off path).

Guru

Wait a minute. If it only takes an additional 16% to get to 51% then the current mashbill is 35% rye.
    Last edited by squire; 07-26-2013 at 10:03.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Wait a minute. If it only takes an additional 16% to get to 51% then the current mashbill is 35% rye . . . that must be the 1792.
    All of the OB mashbills of FR bourbon have a rye content of 35% from the Yellow Label on up!

Four roses recipes.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    All of the OB mashbills of FR bourbon have a rye content of 35% from the Yellow Label on up!

Four roses recipes.JPG
    That should be the standard single barrel and up. The yellow label is a blend of all 10 and so has less rye overall.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

You guys are right so I edited my post. When I read OB I immediately thought Old Barton (a logical conclusion) and confused the distillerys . . . silly me.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    That is an interesting Q&A. Thanks for sharing! I understand that they are one of the smaller majors (as far as bourbon) and that U.S. sales are a fraction of sales in Japan but I think they could really explode if they expand offerings in the U.S. Of course, quality at an affordable price is better than quantity that might result in a lower quality product at a higher price. I can't argue with their business model.