Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Looking for advice on a Straight Rye Whiskey

After this past weekend, my last bottle of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is down to about 2" remaining. Dam, that's good stuff!

I need to decide on a good Straight Rye Whiskey, to replace it. I know that VW is basically none existent and I accept that. I sure would appreciate suggestions on a good, quality Rye, that can be found and will not break the bank.
    Of all the things I have lost during my life, I miss my MIND the most!

Irreverent One

Re: Looking for advice on a Straight Rye Whiskey

I'm sure that if you check the rye subforum forum here, you'll find lots of good guidance.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Lots of choices but little assurance you can find them locally. By all means visit the Rye forum.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the heads-up Guys!
    Of all the things I have lost during my life, I miss my MIND the most!

Enthusiast

The forum you want is American Rye Whiskey. This thread should probably be moved there.
    SCOTT: I found this on Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's um... It's
    green.

Disciple

Value MGP ryes (that are normally pretty easy to find around here) include Dickel and Bulleit. Willett (anything over 2 years of age) and Smooth Ambler also source from MGP, but may be more difficult to find (as well as more costly).

Baby Saz and Ritt are two other value standards. Ritt (HH) is usually available, whereas baby Saz is now a semi-limited release from BT. I'd also recommend WT 101, WTRR and the Beam rye's (particularly Knob Creek) if available in your area.

Those mentioned above won't stack up evenly against what you've been drinking, and there are plenty of other suspects out there if you are sliding up the price scale (CEHT I am thinking of you).

I'm just recommending some value pours that I've found to be pretty well available as well as worthy of keeping around, as I usually don't go the route of the NDP's (with the exception of the aforementioned MGP sourced ryes and WP). Hope this helps a little, and good luck. P

Admin, Trippah, and Bourbonian Of The Year 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ToEOrNotToE View Post
    The forum you want is American Rye Whiskey. This thread should probably be moved there.
    If you think that a thread is in the incorrect forum, hit the report thread button and let the mods know or hang tight and one of us will be along at some point to move it when we notice that it's not in the right place.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Hmmm. I can get baby Saz, but I've never seen Rittenhouse, here.

The two I've tried are baby Saz and Bulleit. The Saz tastes more like what I expect, but I think I enjoyed the Bulleit a little more. I still need to try the Dickel, and look around the shelves to see what else might be available.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Despite the price I have to say the CEHT rye has really grown on me. Admittedly it would grow a lot faster under $50. Otherwise Paddy gave a pretty good summary.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

There are still few ryes on the market that won't break the bank and are a common sight on the shelf. Here's a quick run down of my suggestions:

1. Rittenhouse Rye. 100 proof, about 4 years old and a very bourbony rye. About $25.
    2. Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof, but can be found in 101 proof- more ryeish but young tasting. The 81 is simple and pleasant. $20 for the 81, $40 for the 101.
    3. Bulleit Rye, 90 proof and VERY ryeish. Some don't care for this as it's not sweet and is very herbal tasting. $30.
    4. Jim Beam Rye. Was 80 proof, but just moved up to 90. The 90 proof is a very affordable, bourbony rye. Pleasant but still certainly a rye. $18.
    5. Knob Creek Rye- 100 proof Beam rye. Tasty. Like the 90 with more body and flavor. $35.
    6. Old Overholt- the old 80 proof standby. 3 years old, so it's grainy and young. Yet cheap and easy enough to sip. $15.
    7. Sazerac Rye. 90 proof. Nice rye profile. More toasty and herbal, but not unpleasantly so. The rarest of the bunch and sometimes very hard to find. $30.

That covers the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    Michter's Distillery, Inc. DSP-PA-17 Schaefferstown, PA.
    Until Wednesday Feb. 14th, 1990, Michter's was "The whiskey that warmed the revolution."