Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

At a blind tasting last night I was wrong about which was which. Happily wrong though as I preferred the dsp 1. The 354 was picked by most.

Disciple

The bottle I got yesterday was DSP 1 and I must say it's excellent. I don't have any of the DSP 354 left to compare but I'm very pleased.

Guru

And that's the vote that counts.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I haven't gotten any DSP 1 yet, but the couple of threads that have been dedicated to the subject have certainly eased my mind. I won't know until I try it myself, but I get the feeling we dodged a bullet here. Now, if we can just convince them to keep that crappy label, forever making Ritt look like a bottom-shelfer and commanding a bottom-shelfer price, I'll be happy forever.

Connoisseur

Having my first pour of DSP 1 with my lunch. My first reaction is disappointment. I really enjoy the DSP 354, and don't agree with the "too bourbony" reaction from a lot of tasters. The 354 is definitely not a LDI rye, but is absolutely a strong rye spice whiskey. This 1, is very soft rye spice, more like a low rye bourbon recipe. Of course, further drinking is necessary to totally figure it out, but right now its meh.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Seems no one is reporting the 'earthy' taste I like so much in the DSP-354 when describing the DSP-1. Is it missing or did I just have an unusual batch?
    I'm drinking the DSP-354 right now. It's my 3rd bottle this year. I definitely have tasted the earthy note, moldy barrel, Brie rind mold flavor in all 3. Haven't gotten a DSP-1 yet.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Enthusiast

I picked up a DSP-1 the other night and tasted it alongside a glass of DSP-354. The 354 had been open a couple weeks and was close to being empty. However, I thought there was a pretty marked difference between the two. The 354 had much more caramel/maple on the nose, and was "softer" overall. The DSP-1 was more spicy, but also more astringent with a thinner mouth feel. The new one wasn't bad, and I'll continue to try it as the bottle has been open, but I'll be picking up a few spare 354s as I see them on the shelves.

Apprentice

After several pours of the DSP-1 including a side by side with the DSP-354, I've come to the conclusion I do not like the DSP-1 nearly as much. Maybe it is just the bottle I have, but it is too hot, astringent and green tasting. Glad I have a couple bottles of 354 in the bunker. May need to look for more.

Connoisseur

I agree. I went out today and bought every single bottle I could find of 354 in town. I now have a small stash of 354 set aside.

Guru

I wonder if HH might be pushing the envelope a bit with recent bottlings. Just a few years ago before this new age of rye consciousness Ritt was bargain priced and in plentiful supply. Methinks it might have had a bit more barrel aging than this new version.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.