Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

Seems like a slowly growing consensus in terms of a 'thumbs-down' for the DSP-1 bottling. Probably a good idea to secure a few 354s while they still exist on the shelf...won't be long, they'll be long gone. If the trend continues, it does not bode well for the new product...sad to hear...but probably too early to make a judgment.

Guru

Dunno, everything early on was really positive. Still haven't tried the new stuff yet myself.

Guru

DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

I've had a DSP-KY-1 bottle open for a while and it's ok. I can't say it's any better/worse than the 354 as I've not bad them side-by-side... It tasted about the same as the 354 to my memory.

I may need to crack one of my 354's to do a side-by-side - you know, for science and the children...
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 11-11-2013 at 20:56.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I wonder if HH might be pushing the envelope a bit with recent bottlings. Just a few years ago before this new age of rye consciousness Ritt was bargain priced and in plentiful supply. Methinks it might have had a bit more barrel aging than this new version.
    It's always around these parts (Atlanta). Round $20
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Disciple

I finally procured a bottle myself and there is a definable difference,overly notable no but the DSP-1 is a little more rye forward.The 354 and 1 are both very solid pours in the category and will continue to carry on the tradition rather well,at least to my tastes.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Did a blind tasting a couple of times now. I consistently pick DSP-1 so I suppose it just suits my palate better. I agree with those who feel it is more rye-ish and less bourbon-y than the DSP-354.

Neither are bad too me, just a little different, and I can't really tell them apart in a cocktail like the Rattlesnake or even something a bit simpler like a Manhattan.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Exactly how I feel and at $19.99 you can't beat it.

Guru

Ditto. I've done several SBS, and lean towards the new stuff (and am SO thankful), although the 354 isn't hard to find . . . for now
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Dunno, everything early on was really positive.
    This is interesting. I took note that the early reviews indicated little or no change due to the switchover. The more recent reviews, for better or worse, seem to say that there is a noticeable difference.

Is it possible that the day the label changed on the production line wasn't exactly the same day that the source whiskey changed? We've heard before about producers using up old labels on newer stock. Perhaps the opposite happened in this case.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    This is interesting. I took note that the early reviews indicated little or no change due to the switchover. The more recent reviews, for better or worse, seem to say that there is a noticeable difference.

Is it possible that the day the label changed on the production line wasn't exactly the same day that the source whiskey changed? We've heard before about producers using up old labels on newer stock. Perhaps the opposite happened in this case.
    I don't know, there was a couple-month gap in supply, which I attributed to the switchover.

As far as the differences go, they are minimal. Blind-tasted I can tell them apart but I don't really like one better than the other. DSP-1 tastes a little wilder, with a little more of that Heaven Hill funkiness that we taste in their young BIBs. I also find it to be less earthy than the DSP-354s. (some more than others; one I had reminded me of a freshly plowed field in the spring).

YMMV of course but my personal opinion is that there were bigger variations between various bottles of DSP-354 than there are between the DSP-1 and the DSP-354 that I have open at the moment. That said I can also understand why there are people who like the older stuff better.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.