Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

Just picked my third bottle of the new stuff, If its as good as the first two I have no complaints.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Just picked my third bottle of the new stuff, If its as good as the first two I have no complaints.
    With HH making it, I would expect a good amount of consistency - but definitely share if that proves otherwise!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Opened my 1st DSP 1 last night and would say that HH has hit it out of the park. Love the old stuff but this is easily just as good.

Enthusiast

I will say (probably again) that the 354 remains a top 5 all time pour for me and I've been stashing them away whenever I can get them for a good price.

DSP-1 finally hit the shelves locally. Bit of a price jump to $27.99 and my local store was limited to only 1 case. Owner mentioned he might have heard all of northern CA only got 58 cases.

I got a bottle because of course I did. Haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but I will soon and I'll do a SBS and report back. here's hoping it's meets the mark

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    I got a bottle because of course I did. Haven't had a chance to crack it open yet but I will soon and I'll do a SBS and report back. here's hoping it's meets the mark
    Try to do the SBS blind. Always makes it more interesting!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Did a quick sbs, not blind, but it wasn't even close. The new dsp-1 was very different to my palate, to the point I didn't like it at all and went back to the 354 just to put a good flavor in my mouth. There were mitigating factors and I'll give it another shot, I do have a whole bottle after all.
    Definitely drink it...tonight -Sutton

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    Did a quick sbs, not blind, but it wasn't even close. The new dsp-1 was very different to my palate, to the point I didn't like it at all and went back to the 354 just to put a good flavor in my mouth.
    I'm with you. Looks like I will be using my bottle of DSP-1 to make Manhattans. A number of people have posted that they prefer the DSP-1, but to me it isn't even close. Maybe there is a good deal of variability with the new stuff and I just got a bad bottle, but I'm not willing to buy another bottle at this point to see. I have a couple bottles of 354 on hand I will definitely bunker more when I find it.

Virtuoso

Next payday, I'm going to get one of each and do a personal SBS. I found a store which has both the 354 & the 1. I asked the owner if he had any feedback on the DSP-1 and he replied, "oh a couple of folks said it's better, a couple said it's not and another said nothing's changed". Like a lot of others, it probably comes down to individual palate.
    "I think I'll just stay here and drink"
    .....Merle Haggard

Connoisseur

Got my first bottle of DSP-KY-1 yesterday and my palate says it's a massive improvement over the old rye- which I still love. The new Rittenhouse comes really close to tying my beloved WT 101 rye for my favorite whiskey. I can understand how others don't like it though- it's not the earthy, wet, maple sugar that the 354 stuff was. This is bold, spicy, and herbal in comparison. I think having Pikesville rye for a few years has helped the transition as that seemed to switch over to Bernheim rye a few years ago (It's age stated at only 3 years old).
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

I can't believe I still haven't done this shootout yet. Every time I run out of Ritt BiB (which is often, it's my house rye), I grab a bottle of 354 from a place I know that has a bunch. However, I don't even know which one I like better yet. I suppose I'm just programmed to assume that the new stuff is always worse.

That said, I never drink the stuff neat, so that exercise would be pointless for me. It's always in a cocktail at my house, so I'll probably a blind cocktail tasting soon, which I've never done. Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and my latest favorite, the Nirvana. My guess is that I won't be able to notice a difference.