Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I can't believe I still haven't done this shootout yet. Every time I run out of Ritt BiB (which is often, it's my house rye), I grab a bottle of 354 from a place I know that has a bunch. However, I don't even know which one I like better yet. I suppose I'm just programmed to assume that the new stuff is always worse.

That said, I never drink the stuff neat, so that exercise would be pointless for me. It's always in a cocktail at my house, so I'll probably a blind cocktail tasting soon, which I've never done. Old Fashioned, Manhattan, and my latest favorite, the Nirvana. My guess is that I won't be able to notice a difference.
    That was my experience. Even in a rye heavy cocktail I did not find any noticeable difference. Will be curious to know what you think.

i do think doing a SBS neat is worth doing as well as a cocktail taste off!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Novice

I have been drinking the DSP 1 Rittenhouse BIB for a while now. I just bought a case of it and love it. What are you all paying for a bottle? I am paying 19.99 per at a military base.

Enthusiast

State minimum price in MI is $22.99 for 750mL, up from $21.96 not long ago.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Guru

Atlanta prices range from $18.99 to $22.99.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

I have a bottle of each and have tried them blind. I can tell a difference but my GF wont tell me which is which. I asked her not to in order for me to try to tell the differences. I can pick "a" or "b" but cannot reliably call the 354 vs the 1.

Just for reference, I am a rookie.

Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate762 View Post
    I have a bottle of each and have tried them blind. I can tell a difference but my GF wont tell me which is which. I asked her not to in order for me to try to tell the differences. I can pick "a" or "b" but cannot reliably call the 354 vs the 1.

Just for reference, I am a rookie.

Jim
    No doubt they are different. The real question is did you like one more than the other? I think I was in the same boat - I could definitely identify differences, but I hadn't drank enough 354 to know which was which.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    No doubt they are different. The real question is did you like one more than the other? I think I was in the same boat - I could definitely identify differences, but I hadn't drank enough 354 to know which was which.
    That's the key! Which do you like best? If they are both different but equally good then no need to worry. If you really like DSP 354 a lot more then you better start putting some in the bunker.

I could tell them apart but found the difference to be minimal. Since it usually ends up in a cocktail where I could tell no difference the DSP 1 works fine for me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I haven't had a chance to try a head to head, but after getting halfway through a bottle of the DSP 1 think I prefer 354. The new seems to be lacking the potpourri aromas I enjoyed in the old one.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I admittedly haven't tried the DSP 1, as I keep buying the 354 when I see it. But the 354 still very much hits the right spot for me. I've got enough 354 bunkered to last quite a while.

Advanced Taster

I did a SBS with these two ryes a while back and took notes. I also had two of my friends try them SBS, and I made the tasting blind for them. My notes are below.

DSP354:
    Nose: earthy, cinnamon, peaches
    Palate: roasted corn, oranges, noticeable heat but not overpowering, even neat
    Finish: really nice. same flavors from palate slowly fade, eventually slightly tannic but delicious

DSP1:
    Nose: matcha green tea, honey
    Palate: really strong matcha, floral, brown sugar
    Finish: floral, no tannins, long and clean

I thought that these were drastically different SBS. I get lots of fruity flavors from the DSP354, and just a lot of strong matcha and floral flavors from the DSP1. The 354 has more heat, but not in a bad way. Overall, I strongly prefer the 354 to the 1. Since I now have both bottles open on my bar and the bottles are identical, I've been challenging my initial impressions by randomly grabbing one, pouring a little, and then trying to guess which one it is by taste. It has been easy to do so. I really think that these are very different tasting whiskeys.

Interestingly, my two friends also thought that these were very different tasting, but both preferred the DSP1. Both are scotch drinkers rather than bourbon drinkers though, so it's possible that their preferences are much different than mine.

I encourage those who have access to both to do a side by side. It was pretty eye opening.